Handing in my notice while furloughed

Hi,
During the beginning of the year I was going through the process of starting a new job. My current employer put me on furlough leave from the 25th March and I am still furloughed now.
The new company has now contacted me stating they are ready for me to start whenever I can.
So my question is, while I am fuloughed do I have the right to follow my contract notice period with my current employer. And if so what would be the best way to notify my current employer that I am handing in my notice?

Many thanks
Josh 

Comments

• 7Phil
    7Phil Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 April 2020 at 4:48PM
    Yes you can still hand in your notice, do it in writing of course.
    What is your notice period? There should be no problem with you starting your new job while on furlough but you should probably tell both employers of the arrangement in case there are any issues relating to conflict of interest.
    If you do it properly then you can double-up on the wages at your benefit. There is no issue with doing that. A lot of people are needing to take a 2nd job because they cannot afford the 20% pay cut anyway.

But if your notice period is longer than your furlough period then you'll need to negotiate about what happens. If you have no intentions on going back then you obviously cannot be dragged back to work but they will probably deduct the rest of your notice as unauthorised leave from your final pay.
  • 7Phil said:
    Yes you can still hand in your notice, do it in writing of course.
    What is your notice period? There should be no problem with you starting your new job while on furlough but you should probably tell both employers of the arrangement in case there are any issues relating to conflict of interest.
    If you do it properly then you can double-up on the wages at your benefit. There is no issue with doing that. A lot of people are needing to take a 2nd job because they cannot afford the 20% pay cut anyway.

But if your notice period is longer than your furlough period then you'll need to negotiate about what happens. If you have no intentions on going back then you obviously cannot be dragged back to work but they will probably deduct the rest of your notice as unauthorised leave from your final pay.
    Thankyou for your reply.
    My notice period is only 2 weeks.
    My employer extended my furlough leave after the government announcement of 3 weeks.
    I am only on the 80% but I'm lucky enough for this to still cover all of my bills and payments with comfort.
    My plan is to hand my notice in on the 27th April which I will just finish my furlough leave on the same last day of my notice. If that makes sense.. 
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Furlough does not change any of your other employment contract. So the same still applies. But before jumping in the current climate is the new job any safer? Even if they are still operating now are they going to be hit later on?
  • 7Phil
    7Phil Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    @mrmatth3ws - It makes sense.
    The point that Sharpe makes is definitely worth bearing in mind too. I certainly would not be changing my job right now but you will need to assess that for yourself as to whether it is secure. I would ensure you have your new job firmly in writing that you have an unconditional letter of offer however if you are starting immediately then it seems good as done. Any risk the business will not survive this crisis then I can only recommend to keep your employment secure.

Let's say you could start the new job tomorrow: What I would do is tell your current employer that you are taking on a new role to help bridge the gap in your pay. Give them the details of the new job and make sure they don't have any legal issues with it.
    Then put your formal notice in exactly two weeks before the end of your furlough as you plan.

If you think the current job is going to cause you strife when you declare your "second" one then you can chance it and play the game a little bit, but at your risk. You know the people involved better than we do.
  • I am currently on furlough, can I still hand my notice in my to my current employer ? 
    My notice period is 2 weeks 
  • sharpe106
    Furlough makes no difference to any of your other terms and conditions, so yes you can.
  • I am just unsure as I have been offered another role while still furloughed, so I Was unsure if I can.
  • I don’t want to not be able to hand notice in, as the new employer make take the job offer away.
  • sharpe106
    How secure is the new company ? They can't furlough you if the work dries up. What sort of contract is it?
  • Northern rail and full time permanent 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure