New Post Advanced Search

Divorce - Step by Step

2 replies 224 views
Sienna2017Sienna2017 Forumite
6 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I'm looking to issue a petition for divorce.
We have only briefly discussed division of assets and not agreed anything as yet. If we cannot come to an agreement, shall I still go ahead and petition for a divorce and go into the decree nisi stage? I've heard, that if it proceeds to decree absolute, then I may lose a right to some of his assets as I'm no longer his spouse.
I first found the incident 20/02/2020, so it's almost 2 months on and I'm keen to get things going but don't want to miss a trick.


  • Martin_the_UnjustMartin_the_Unjust Forumite
    267 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Step 1, go see a solicitor, preferably one that someone has personally recommended to you.

    Step 2, follow your solicitors advice (only a fool hires an expert and then ignores there advice)
  • pphillipspphillips Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Can you issue the divorce petition even though you have not agreed division of assets? Yes
    Is it proceeds to decree absolute will I lose a right to some of his assets? No, but it is advisable for practical reasons to get the financial agreement in place before decree absolute. It is a remarriage that creates an absolute bar on capital claims.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support