In need of encouragement...

in Debt Free Diaries
155 replies 6.2K views

Replies

• SarahwithloveSarahwithlove Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If it gives you peace of mind then it is worth it in the long run and there's nothing stopping you overpaying on it if you get the chance. 
    *RBS credit card - £1930.50* - £0.00
    *Tesco Credit card - £3604.30* - £0.00
    *Finance - £581.91 - £0.00
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £3600
    Total debt *£3600* £11,416.71

Emergency fund/Sinking Fund - £2500/£5000

Mortgage Overpayment - £30.34/£1000
    Facing Reality - My Debt Free Diary
  • IrishSeanIrishSean Forumite
    397 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    If it gives you peace of mind then it is worth it in the long run and there's nothing stopping you overpaying on it if you get the chance. 
    👍👍
    Ta Sarah, was my thinking too
    Will be nice when it's gone but the 2 things I didn't want to have to do was either drop £2k savings at the remainder or have to pay 22.9% on the MT when my 0% runs out. That would be an ouchie £400+ interest at minimum payments (bit extreme as I wouldn't pay min only, but for me avoiding interest is best)

I once had £14k on cards not thinking I could even get a BT, was paying £235 a month, most of it interest😱
    Don't miss those days
    Admin for Tilly Tidy to £1825 DFW challenge: 2021
    Rolling Total for 2021: £970
  • SarahwithloveSarahwithlove Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I bet alot of that was interest you were repaying. I'm lucky I have never paid interest on mine I've always had 0% but then I have only been in debt for about 3 years so only needed two transfers and should have it cleared by time next is due 
    *RBS credit card - £1930.50* - £0.00
    *Tesco Credit card - £3604.30* - £0.00
    *Finance - £581.91 - £0.00
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £3600
    Total debt *£3600* £11,416.71

Emergency fund/Sinking Fund - £2500/£5000

Mortgage Overpayment - £30.34/£1000
    Facing Reality - My Debt Free Diary
  • ryanm8655ryanm8655 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    How did the ebay sales go? Amazing what you can get for sticker books and memorabilia...I threw a lot of stuff like that out after hoarding for years. Regret that now ha.

August 2019: £28.8k

November 2020: £0 (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    ryanm8655 said:
    How did the ebay sales go? Amazing what you can get for sticker books and memorabilia...I threw a lot of stuff like that out after hoarding for years. Regret that now ha.
    Aw man; ive hunted the house for my 2014 pannini book (almost complete), had it at Christmas to complete it for the kids, stuffed if I can find it. 😱😕😬

Rest of the stuff I reckon about £200 in total, after fees.. have about £121 so far, would like to sell my musical instrument stuff for £50 it's B.I.N at the minute, no takers yet.. I mentioned 8 & bob cause the holiday home we rented in roi last year the owner left a bottle in the bathroom. I was cheeky & used a few sprays.. it's over £100😱 was nice tho,  very 'bespoke'. I'll stick with aqua di gio tho, was like that scent was made for me...

Waxed £27 on some deck shoes & lawn feed but needs must

My next goal is once kids start back im looking at buying out my ground rent; better investment than throwing £50  a year at my hateful freeholder (who could technically claim my house even though i'm mortgage free!)...

Should make refinancing easier if I need to raise some to buy a 'pension house' in the same area. Good thing is if prices fall a bit I can low-ball local sellers who's properties have sat a bit..

@Sarahwithlove you're doing amazing on the DFW!
    💪😉
    397 Posts
    ✭✭
    My faith in the rise of e-sports is paying off...

Cashed £180 share profit to put towards the CC; the 14 yo got in before me (stock i'd had b4), he made 87% on his Christmas & birthday money... he's just thinkin "half way to an x box X or ps5..."

Knowing him he'll set up his own business & double it again (he was selling sweets for profit in school last year, lol)

Now I need to explain to him that the value of a portfolio can fall as well as rise😮😱😊
  • findingthisdifficultfindingthisdifficult Forumite
    473 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Teach 'em early!  I like your style.  
    Funny Mr FTD and I were saying that we wish we had been educated better from a financial point of view, after spending most of our adult lives in debt of one kind or another.
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time

Credit Card £0/£3,161 0% interest PAID IN FULL 29/01/2021
    Loan £0/£23,179 5.4% PAID IN FULL 31/08/2020
    Total £0/£26,340 100%
    DEBT FREE AS OF 29/01/2021

wobbling-my-way-out-of-debt

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Bless him, he spent £20 of his earning on an extra xbox controller for his younger siblings..

I'm going to get him & his brother to do the MSE badge via the OU.. no reason they couldn't complete it & a first taste of higher education to boot, lol.

I finally found my panini world cup book so hopefully will squeeze another £40 out of ebay!
    💪😊
  • findingthisdifficultfindingthisdifficult Forumite
    473 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I thought I replied to this, how cute is he spending £20 on an extra xbox controller for his siblings! 

Good Luck with selling the panini world cup book.
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time

Credit Card £0/£3,161 0% interest PAID IN FULL 29/01/2021
    Loan £0/£23,179 5.4% PAID IN FULL 31/08/2020
    Total £0/£26,340 100%
    DEBT FREE AS OF 29/01/2021

wobbling-my-way-out-of-debt

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Panini is all pimped out with unopened pack, last 6 stickers to complete & spares included in sale. It did 5 days, no sale sadly so relisted. I did sell my irish drum tho, nearly £40.

Father's 'property' still highly confusing; I can see it stretching into 2021 as i've family who simply couldn't run a bath 😂 

Have to pay off most of CC end of Aug to make room for hol home to move from DW card to mine; is the right thing as it means we'll have it @ 0% & no looming end date til May 21. This week away plus school uniforms has put a coach & horses through my DFW & savings. I even managed to fall off the betting wagon, although mercifully a shift in my shares covered the loss, which was small in comparison to online horrors of years gone by. Not an easy admission but indicative of the diary title I suppose. 
    Back on track financially providing there's no curve balls though frustratingly I had to move £500 out of savings so as not to strain the OD when away. I hate giving up my gains, so I suppose that's a positive mental shift. 

What I do need is practical advice on managing a joint account. Should I take out cash for groceries to avoid frivolous spending (DW ironically has more😱)? (Not really practical in a Covid world of contactless). Move ££ into my basic account? Have a small limit CC I can pay off in full? Are there top up debit cards you can use for personal spend? My basic account pays my CC & I don't want to muddy it too much with personal or grocery spend. What do others do? I think managing the joint acct will be easier come Nov when I cancel the OD for good. What's left after savings and DD will be all we can spend😊!

Still, practical budgeting & spending advice appreciated :)

CC Feb 20: £5578
    CC July 20: £758 (£518 off in Aug, then £590 BT going on)

Getting there😉