in Debt Free Diaries
155 replies 6.2K views

Replies

• IrishSeanIrishSean Forumite
    397 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Nothing from July premium bonds 😕

Experian due to update tomoro; will give some direction on paying remainder...

Sales will be going to likely July hols; i've found a beautiful staycation house right on the border giving access to day trip sports in RoI for £567 1 week; we could do hol for a smidge over a grand for 6 of us... better than the £2500 for 10 days on the continent which was the dec / jan plan😱

I'm re-incentivised to continue 0% OD so I can continue to service CC, save & pay hol until accts catch up & balance in Sept. Better than waxing savings, even if Ernie has seemingly lost my bond numbers😂😂😂
    Admin for Tilly Tidy to £1825 DFW challenge: 2021
    Rolling Total for 2021: £970
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really think ERNIE has lost my numbers!  I've not had a single win since August 2018! and then it was only £25.  Still at least my stake is still intact.  While it's in PB it isn't being spent.

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    joedenise said:
    I really think ERNIE has lost my numbers!  I've not had a single win since August 2018! and then it was only £25.  Still at least my stake is still intact.  While it's in PB it isn't being spent.

👍👍👍
    That's my thinking; and it's swings and roundabouts, luck (and therefore 'earned interest') balances the more we put in, so added incentive to keep investing. (And I get to talk 'permutations' not in a gambling context, which is good👌😉)
    397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Nationwide texted me this evening to say they're extending my 0% OD until 01/11

Great news as it means I can cover hols & Savings as well as CC without having to cash savings in or use emergency fund. 

N'wide & me have had the odd issue over the past 20 years but I can't fault them on how they've supported my OD request & extended with me asking. 

MBNA look like they'll offer me 0% balance transfer; if that offers still up in the autumn it'll give a few more options...  (14 months @ 0%). I was thinking as my savings build if I did have to BT what's left I could drip feed any premium bond interest into paying it off...

It's weird paying so aggressively for 3 months then accepting patience is the better approach with  £2388 left.
  • findingthisdifficultfindingthisdifficult Forumite
    473 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Ooh that's good news on the OD front!

I feel like we're neck and neck on this journey, albeit you're a smidge ahead of me with a lower balance to clear.  Have to confess, I was jealous when I seen your DFD was before mine  :#

I'm starting to sense a slow in how aggressive I can be with the payments now that we're allowed to leave the house again and having to pay for fuel for the car and stuff like that.  Lockdown really allowed me to pay some big numbers to the debt pile.
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time

Credit Card £0/£3,161 0% interest PAID IN FULL 29/01/2021
    Loan £0/£23,179 5.4% PAID IN FULL 31/08/2020
    Total £0/£26,340 100%
    DEBT FREE AS OF 29/01/2021

wobbling-my-way-out-of-debt

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    I'll still have to do a rejig; i'm in a nervous position (totally my fault), between 3k saving in 2 months & 1098 in rates & car insurance I overlooked the DW paying for the holiday let...

It came out then was refunded (confusion with booking dates). DW told me she was putting it on the CC for S75 protection but then spent on current account.. 

Long story short, it's £567 (gr8 price) for the week but my OD is @ £-903, £1500 limit.. if it busts I lose my 0% OD

I should be OK... as long as hol let doesn't process again til after Mon i'm OK as can move ££ into the account. I've cashed in some bonds to balance (doesn't clear til) but given how all over the detail i've been i'm a silly c-nut for letting it potentially run to within £30 of OD limit..😱

The drama!
    Will keep u posted...
  • ceremonyceremony Forumite
    241 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Fingers crossed with you on the overdraft! Do you spend much on your debit card? Does the Nationwide app show you pending transactions clearly? I'm with TSB and it's pretty easy to see what's going on with pending transactions in the mobile app... that might give you some peace of mind that you're running close but won't go over?
    Start Debt Jun 2020 = £10,036 - Current £5,894 | #324 £1,000 Emergency Fund Member - £205
    397 Posts
    ✭✭
    😂

DW came in an hour ago; "in case you're wondering I put the holiday let on my credit card, we can pay that off next month b4 the interest hits..."

Lol... crisis averted. Really must get our sh 1t together a bit better😂 irony again is that even as a staycation it's on the boarder with RoI for costal day trips & Fermanagh is island of Ireland's lake district so loads to do...

N'wide is quite good tho @ceremony , in a lot of cases payments take 3 or 4 days & counter staff will often juggle payments to keep you in the black (or right side of the red!)👍
    397 Posts
    ✭✭
    *border.    

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    New update:

All things considered I was worried 0% offers would start drying up again; as a result I moved £1170 @ 2.9% shift rate off my virgin cc & onto DW n'wide @0% for 12 months. I set up an SO from August for £100 meaning it'll be cleared by next July. 

I moved a bit to my other CA with a view to paying another £350 in Aug (bulk of Virgin's 0% expires 30/09).

After my £180 dd to Virgin pays July, Aug, Sept (£60 pm dd) i'll have £688 of debt (not counting a ground rent of £100 I've been putting off). I reckon even with savings I can take from now until 01/11 when my 0% OD ends to pay that £688 & just let my main CA balance by halloween. 

And that'll be it, more or less. Knowing the final £1200 is just going to pay off @£100 pm is a weight off my shoulders, no more applying for BT cards, doing double BTs for a longer shift or worrying will there still be deals by the Autumn. The £100 increases my monthly dds from £300 - £400 but I don't think that's excessive for a family of 6 😃

With the £688 there's still my premium bonds, shares & attic sales that could count towards it too, so I feel more contented.

Having done that shift I feel I can focus more earnestly on my end of year savings target.

It won't technically mean i'll be i'll be debt free by the Autumn 😕 but for the sake of £30 BT I felt it was worth doing for peace of mind.