In need of encouragement...

in Debt Free Diaries
155 replies 6.2K views

Replies

• IrishSeanIrishSean Forumite
    397 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Yeah, totally agree.. i've read soo many who feel like its a lifetime between credit file updates😱

Roll on July, we'll get more done💪💪💪
    Admin for Tilly Tidy to £1825 DFW challenge: 2021
    Rolling Total for 2021: £970
    397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Omg

My beer memorabilia item I'm selling has hit 3 figures tonight, online.. I was disappointed when it was valued @ £60 - £80 by a local auction house. Will let it run & see what it sells for; it's amazing what collectors will buy + it's all ££ off my CC bill, lol. 

I contacted the brewery too, in the hope they get the word out to reps who can let collectors know: a long shot but worth a punt...
  • findingthisdifficultfindingthisdifficult Forumite
    473 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    How's your beer memorabilia looking now? Hopefully a nice few £s to pay off the CC.
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time

Credit Card £0/£3,161 0% interest PAID IN FULL 29/01/2021
    Loan £0/£23,179 5.4% PAID IN FULL 31/08/2020
    Total £0/£26,340 100%
    DEBT FREE AS OF 29/01/2021

wobbling-my-way-out-of-debt

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Haha, yes, its creeping up in price...

I was shocked at the price of panini sticker books.. I did a few over the years with the kids for world cups etc. £20 - £30 complete.. a mint album with separate stickers is like £45+!

Some dross for sale at the car auction so avoiding until there's more quality. My goal was to begin bringing rarer models from GB I know will sell in NI but corona ruined my plans. There was one I could'v made a tidy 4 figures on for sale in edinburgh, sold the next day, raging😂

I've listed some of the saleable stuff from my dad's house clearance though tbh there's little value in it; i'm identifying other guff in the attic I could list that hasn't gone to car boots in the past. 

If I get some ££ in the paypal account which I can shift & use to pay off the CC as you say, that'll be useful. 

I had a tiny uptick in my shares; am hoping they go on a bit of a bull run. I bought coronavirus friendly stock in e-sports, online training & online education in April (wishing i'd had the guts to buy st. Patricks day at the market bottom😕). If I have the cash i'll go a wee bit in a hydrogen fuel cell company & an online retailer (not sure which). 

Its a risk / reward i'm ok with as 2 of my 3 i've bought & sold before. If I nett any profit I can put it against the cc & let the rest sit. (Maybe that's the latent gambler in me😱)

Tomoro is premium bond draw day so GL any1 that has a few ££ in bonds... I hope 'agent million' phones you, altho tbh, I hope he phones me 1st😂
    473 Posts
    ✭✭
    Good news that the price is creeping up, funny what people will pay for nowadays.

A panini sticker book for £45!!  I remember them from when I was a kid.

All the little odds and sods that sell is less clutter for you and more £s in the pocket at the same time...win win

Ah shares and bonds, I find them too scary, I'd definitely lose money there and I'm fairly risk averse, although tempted to chuck a couple quid on the euromillions this week, hardly ever do it but then sometimes think got to be in it to win it but then is it just throwing money away?

Total £0/£26,340 100%

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    For me the investing side is balanced risk; if a company has potential, the BoD are invested & they're in a growth area i'll take a look; premium bonds are guaranteed money back savings (but most lose due to inflation; no different to other savings atm). In truth everyone with a pension or ISA has money in the stock market & i've never been averse to going alone (wishing i'd pursed it in the small amounts I do and never mainstream gambled of course😂).

Yes, if I can get a chunk paid down from selling bits that's great. I'd sooner free comp than do the lottery (mercifully i'm self-excluded from all gambling). Lotto, tbh is terrible odds (i rarely did it), & that's an ex gambling addict talking!

Life changing for most of us is paying off the debt; I don't see a lot wrong with ppl doing the odd 'pick 4' on the irish lotto or 49s, providing its only a tiny investment, like instead of buying a sunday paper @ £3.50 they put 2 x 25p on 4 numbers per draw on the 49s; with most online bookmakers it pays between £1250 & £2500. I wouldn't advocate it but as an alternative to 2 weekly lottos ppl might do anyway? Arguably better value, if still very long odds. 

In most cases it's just better to save the £175 odd that would have gone on the newspaper or lottery & paid the debt instead; I get the lure of lotteries just not the jackpot odds😱😊
    473 Posts
    ✭✭
    We get the option to buy shares at work, a sharesave scheme type thing so effectively savings with the bonus of being able to buy shares if we choose to.
    I have a pension through work so guess some of my money is already in the stock market then.

I know what you mean about the lottery - fortunately I never buy a ticket with the idea that I might win big (I mean, it'd be nice but highly unlikely) and it's true what they say 'money can't buy you happiness, gives you options but not happiness)  

Some people at work do a syndicate thing and if there is an email sent out about it, I start thinking, 'what if they win' they'll all leave and I'll be stuck here' but chances of them winning is slim really.

Total £0/£26,340 100%

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yeah, share options are sometimes really good, as newly issued share offerings are often discounted for staff; whether its good value depends on the firm.. we used to joke in our charity, if it was private sector would you buy 5k worth of shares? Answer was always no (management achieved it going bust a year later, lol).

Syndicates are better, I think for lotto, as a smaller outlay can still mean a share of a huge win... again better value than single tickets; i'd still sooner the 25p thing on my own via a bookmaker (fewer ppl to fall out with if syndicate gets in a dispute!).

Guy I know hit a pools win in the 80s... £100k, £10k each. They found out the guy in charge was so sure they wouldn't win he'd been drinking the stake money every Friday.

Made for an interesting conversation with the other 9 on the Monday!!!

473 Posts
    ✭✭
    IrishSean said:
    Guy I know hit a pools win in the 80s... £100k, £10k each. They found out the guy in charge was so sure they wouldn't win he'd been drinking the stake money every Friday.

Made for an interesting conversation with the other 9 on the Monday!!!

:o:o:o  literally cannot believe that!  Gosh, you'd have to leave right?
    I often joke if I ever put a couple quid in the syndicate that I'm paying for a boys night out...maybe I am?

Total £0/£26,340 100%

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Lol, yeah guy left shortly after:

Let's face it, it was a factory, in the 1980s, in Northern Ireland...

Chances of someone not wanting to do him harm after costing them the eqiv of 50-80k (each) in todays money was pretty slim!

Another reason not to gamble, folks!😱