In need of encouragement...

in Debt Free Diaries
155 replies 6.2K views

Replies

• IrishSeanIrishSean Forumite
    397 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    DW said its 0% on the phone anyway (£287, can't get it new for less online); pay the £13.99 pm phone and contract, as above, decent phone and still only £6.50 pm more than my dinosaur with no useable features. 
    Makes sense, I can leave the £180 I was going to pay in savings. I get 12 months free apple+ tv. Is it any good? Its worth £60 for buying the phone new (on contract). 
    Admin for Tilly Tidy to £1825 DFW challenge: 2021
    Rolling Total for 2021: £970
    397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Due 2 more credit file updates next week but offers like 0% or MT still very scarce.

Virgin came back to me with a generic "there are no money transfer offers available on your account at present, but when there are we'll notify you via your chosen method of communication"

Fair enough; don't really need it til the autumn & possibly not at all. 
    Did some comping; the car one's look interesting (postal entry) but in real terms the prizes are about £3k and if I won i'd have to fly to london, drive to scotland & ferry it over, lol. Winning an I-phone 11, now that's a different matter...😂

Am worried there's a bit of shill bidding on the cars i've been looking at online, some of the prices are close to retail, FGS! Can't buy if there's no margin to be made. I need to get some work ideas banged out; paid for services online would be good, I must look into it more as I have a number of areas of work expertise I could transfer online. 
    397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Sheesh, shocked at what my neighbour's house is renting for (smaller semi than us)... £200 more p/m than i'd reckoned! 
    If I keep on the debt paydown and savings route & get anything decent from a parental estate that's due to settle (sometime😕 too complicated a story to mention), then we could have enough to buy a new home (deposit anyway) and rent this out; even with income tax, most of what we'd get in rent would pay our next mortgage if we didn't go nuts on purchase price. I need a BTL to replace my (lack of) pension.

Added incentive to stick at the DFW plan.

Looks like i'm plumping for an i-phone @ £13.99 p/m all in. A £6.50 a month hike; I must be a reformed DFW type if this seems dear @ £6.50 more p/m, lol. Have to pay £90 tomorrow for 2 (old & overdue) car wheel repairs. A quiet June for spending likely followed by a quiet July: have to balance by July payday or i'll run risk of being tapped in Aug by N'wide for their beloved 40% overdraft. Like WTH is that cabal, nonsense all about, every provider just happens to say 40% for an OD: really makes you not like banks and BS's  any more! (building societies, other words work there too😂). I suppose I have to cut a bit of slack they gave me 3 months 0% OD. 

Still, meal planning is keeping costs super low, though cupboards stripped by July😂
    397 Posts
    ✭✭
    I've been moonlighting on the credit card page; apologies dfw devotees😂!

I was shooting the breeze about my final £2k; 0% runs out in the autumn. I'm on an aggressive savings plan and want to stick to it if possible. There's the possibility of a windfall from my deceased parent's estate which i'd be keen to put with savings & a remortgage to buy a BTL to fill the void left by my cashed in & spent pension. 

I don't want to go into details with DW of the final £2k & would rather pay it off from my own income @0% & let her focus on remortgage in her name alone as the FT breadwinner (would be less than X1 her salary & i'm planning a super aggressive overpayment on it anyway).

In short Virgin have told me I can take a second promotional rate card;  can then do a MT or at a cheaper rate & for longer do a double BT to move my balance to a 24 month offer with them @ 0%. 

What I can do as well is ask them if they'd match the 0% offer to my existing card to save the hassle. If I apply for a different BT card i'm concerned DW will think i'm borrowing or worse gambling again. I feel responsible for the last £2k & if I pay it off @ £80 per month it keeps my credit file ticking over with repayments & keeps me focused on earning the repayments. As stated it also allows me to continue to save most of our monthly income for an 'income rental'. 

The downside is my DFW status gets kicked down the road a bit longer but if its only going to cost me a final £50 odd quid for a few years i'm OK with that. 

At least i'm not forced into clearing the CC with savings (although if offers got withdrawn completely that is an option).  If I'm mad and should use savings to just wipe the CC once & for all plz say so.

It's a balancing act, others on credit card pages said keep your savings if you can shift debt to 0% as its safer in these uncertain times:TBH that felt like sage advice. 
    397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Virgin said no to extending promotional offer on my existing card.

It might just feel like too much hassle applying for another card & doing a BT. Might be better just to clear it  at the end of the summer & use the saved BT fee for a night out. 

The forum is great for advice; ty for all who contributed on each page. If it hadn't been for the forum I may have got bored & fallen back into old ways.
  • SarahwithloveSarahwithlove Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I think I would be tempted to just clear it as well. Then you can focus on saving and the future 
    *RBS credit card - £1930.50* - £0.00
    *Tesco Credit card - £3604.30* - £0.00
    *Finance - £581.91 - £0.00
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £3600
    Total debt *£3600* £11,416.71

Emergency fund/Sinking Fund - £2500/£5000

Mortgage Overpayment - £30.34/£1000
    Facing Reality - My Debt Free Diary
    397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Have a 30% chance at the Santander 0% for 18 months @ 0% shift. 
    I'm thinking I could do a halfway house; pay off half my virgin card next month & apply for the Santander: if I got a grand shift @ 0% great: if I don't it's no loss, I just clear the rest. 

My logic is I like paying a small amount against my debt: it would work out £55 p/m & would keep my savings on track for end of year target, without costing anything.

I've the application complete but 'on - ice' until my credit files update again in July. Providing Santander don't pull the offer it's an option. If the hard search is rejected it makes no difference, I don't need credit anytime soon & it allows me to hold back 1k savings...
  • findingthisdifficultfindingthisdifficult Forumite
    473 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hey!  Just stopping by to see how you're getting on?
    What did you decide on your phone in the end?  Is the dinosaur still going or have you invested in a much upgraded version?
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time

Credit Card £0/£3,161 0% interest PAID IN FULL 29/01/2021
    Loan £0/£23,179 5.4% PAID IN FULL 31/08/2020
    Total £0/£26,340 100%
    DEBT FREE AS OF 29/01/2021

wobbling-my-way-out-of-debt

397 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hey!  Just stopping by to see how you're getting on?
    What did you decide on your phone in the end?  Is the dinosaur still going or have you invested in a much upgraded version?
    Haha, the dinosaur still lives!

In the end none of my hint dropping worked & I ended up with chocs & gin for fathers day, lol.

It looks like i'll be requesting the phone for my birthday & buying the coffee machine myself!
    I'm more thank likely going for the 500+5k+5k new i-phone7 deal @13.99 p/m all in. With tesco mobile it makes sense, 0% apr, new phone, total cost £280. I-phone 12 lands in the autumn but you'd be looking @ £60 - £70 pm😱 i'm just not away from home enough to need a 4G phone with those kinds of functions...

My tablet & laptop @ home have all the computing power I need atm. 
    Am just lying low on the DFW front until my OD balances early Aug & I can mull over whether I apply for the free CC shift ☝ or not. 

Hope all is well with ur DFW journey 👍☺
  • findingthisdifficultfindingthisdifficult Forumite
    473 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I think that's a good deal for the iPhone7, no point paying over the odds just to have the latest gadget (a recent lesson I have learnt)  first time ever that I didn't upgrade my phone at the end of the contract or worse still mid contract.

I hear you on the waiting for balances to update/clear - I hate that it takes so long for them to update, my credit report makes my debt situation seem worse than it actually is.  This part of the month feels stagnant in the process, not long until payday excitement though, by excitement I mean allocating the funds where they need to go.

No more naughty spending for me (although did get a small bonus from work) so I am just perusing an online clothing sale whether I proceed to purchase is a whole other story...
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time

Credit Card £0/£3,161 0% interest PAID IN FULL 29/01/2021
    Loan £0/£23,179 5.4% PAID IN FULL 31/08/2020
    Total £0/£26,340 100%
    DEBT FREE AS OF 29/01/2021

wobbling-my-way-out-of-debt