PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2020 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £26 in local butcher, coming out of bulk fund.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £105 for the month, so slightly over my £100 budget.

Just a small word - we started this month with empty shelves in the supermarkets and having to make do with what we can find. We've also spent most of this month locked in our own houses with nothing to do except eat. Some of us without even a garden to be able to even just sit in the sun. We're so great at being kind to each other - maybe for this month we can be kind to ourselves about the oops moments and the overspends that have happened.

If people have slipped a bit over the last few months - honestly, don't panic, it's not a habit, it's a pandemic. Next month will be better than this month x
    Thank you for your kind words Merlin’s Beard from someone who has massively overspent.  I am not going to beat myself up about it, what is done is done and as you say it is not a normal month.  I have fed people a lot more than usual this month and will do better next month with my new plan and renewed focus.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • MrsSnowy
    MrsSnowy Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
     I shall declare  £210 for May,quite a bit over my target of  £150 . 
     I have so much in the store cupboard that I am sure,no positive ,that I will achieve the challenge in June, and I will NOT go over £150.
    Thank you Merlin's Beard  for your words of reason,and putting things in perspective.
    Be kind to ourselves
    MrsS
  • Anzac_Biscuit
    Anzac_Biscuit Posts: 230 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May 2020 at 6:18AM
    Options
    Thank you @merlinsbeard for your wise words. Definitely not normal circumstances at the moment!
    Another shop today as we decided we didn't want to eke things out til the weekend's planned shop (which was to count as June!) I'm declaring for May at $724, slightly under budget :D The pantry is pretty bare though!
    See you all over on the June thread!
    March 2020 grocery challenge $921.76/$500AU
    April 2020 grocery challenge $744/$800
    May 2020 GC $724.11/$750
    June 2020 GC $370.31/$700
    July 2020 GC $316.87/$700
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 28 May 2020 at 1:43PM
    Options
    Final spend for May of £6.80 which means I've come in under budget!  This has got to be a first for a very long time.  Finishing the month with £41.12/£250.

Will use this money to top up a couple of categories we've overspent on!

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you @merlinsbeard for your wise words. Definitely not normal circumstances at the moment!
    Another shop today as we decided we didn't want to eke things out til the weekend's planned shop (which was to count as June!) I'm declaring for May at $724, slightly under budget :DThe pantry is pretty bare though!
    See you all over on the June thread!
    Hi @Anzac_Biscuit. I thought the pantry was meant to be bare because aren't you moving interstate soon?  (Out of curiosity, from where to where?  I know, vaguely, that some of the borders are closed but not which ones.  My sister mentioned last week that Victoria's were still closed.)

I am declaring for May at £136.56/£123.60 so £12.96 overspent

Tomorrow is payday for both of us and we won't be going near a shop before the weekend.  If we buy anything then, it'll come out of June's money.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Anzac_Biscuit
    Options

Hi @Anzac_Biscuit. I thought the pantry was meant to be bare because aren't you moving interstate soon?  (Out of curiosity, from where to where?  I know, vaguely, that some of the borders are closed but not which ones.  My sister mentioned last week that Victoria's were still closed.)
    Hi @PipneyJane,
    Yep, still hoping to move interstate but nothing is certain until the job offer comes through (if we're successful, lol) - and it seems it will be a bit longer... We're hopefully moving from the Blue Mountains (west of Sydney) to Hobart! The NSW/Vic border is fine (never closed) but we will need to quarantine for 14 days once we get to Tasmania. So pantry is remaining *fairly* bare but has been divested of many out of date things. And Mum has said she'll take anything left we need to get rid of (mostly unusual flours other people are unlikely to use). In the meantime I'm allowing myself to keep small amounts of things in stock so I don't go completely spare :D Hubby would need to give a month's notice anyway so we'll have plenty of time to empty it again!
    March 2020 grocery challenge $921.76/$500AU
    April 2020 grocery challenge $744/$800
    May 2020 GC $724.11/$750
    June 2020 GC $370.31/$700
    July 2020 GC $316.87/$700
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business