Brittany Ferries

Options
Hi I have been denied a refund from Brittany Ferries as they have offered vouchers. I do not feel that we will be travelling abroad in the time limit of 2 years Brittany have given for the vouchers to be used. Am I entitled to a cash refund as they cancelled the Ferry?
many thanks
wendy 

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi I have been denied a refund from Brittany Ferries as they have offered vouchers. I do not feel that we will be travelling abroad in the time limit of 2 years Brittany have given for the vouchers to be used. Am I entitled to a cash refund as they cancelled the Ferry?
    many thanks
    wendy 
    How did you pay ?
    I believe you should be put back into the position before you booked the journey eg a cash refund but Im not an expert, other posters are more knowledgeable.
  • Yorky1942
    Options
    I have same issue with BF. I am 78 years old, a voucher refund is of no value to me whatsoever. Martin Lewis say in his bulletin 1st April 2020 ( page 6) that... "you are legally entitled to cash refunds NOT vouchers from flight cancellations." Why shouldn't the same legal protection apply to ferry travel cancellations???
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It does apply to ferry cancellations. 
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brittany Ferries have already asked the UK Government for a bail out. Issuing cash refunds will do them no favours. 
  • R3dders
    R3dders Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm booked with Brittany Ferries for a crossing on 28th April that has not yet been cancelled.  I am hoping it will be cancelled in the next day or so and I am checking the website on a daily basis.  Brittany Ferries have 3 fare options.
    • Economy: The cheapest fare, ideal if you're confident your travel plans will not change
    • Standard: Our most popular choice, will allow you to amend or cancel your booking within certain conditions
    • Flexi: The most flexible fare, gives you the freedom to make free amendments up until four hours before your outbound sailing
    Does anyone know if it will make a difference regarding a refund in cash or voucher depending on which option was chosen.  I have booked the Flexi option which offers a 75% refund if I cancel.  Im not sure if that will be cash or voucher.  I booked with P&O for my outbound that wasn't cancelled as it was still sailing for freight only even though I couldn't sail.  I contacted them several times but as I booked a basic price crossing I am only going to receive vouchers which are only valid for 12 months.
    I have also contacted Brittany Ferries and received this response. 

"Thank you for contacting us.
    At this current time, this crossing is scheduled to operate as normal. If this is going to change then please be advised that we would contact passengers on affected sailings. 
    We also advise passengers to keep an eye on our website where we will be uploading sailings updates as we receive the information.
    At this point any cancellations or amendments to your reservation would be as per the Terms and Conditions of your ticket. As you have booked the Flexi, this means that your 25% deposit is non-refundable and the remaining balance would be returned to card.
    All of our tickets are valid for 12 months from the departure date. Currently our schedule is out until the end of October with the new one being released in mid-July which will cover winter, spring and early summer 20/21. If you are interested in sailing beyond that time then you may want to consider doing 2 amendments to your booking, one now and one with the new schedule release. 
    If you'd like to postpone a sailing to a later available date and you can do this
    Should you wish to cancel at a loss and claim through your travel insurer we will be happy to provide you with any supporting documents you may need.
    We hope that you are taking care of yourselves during these unprecedented times".

I hope this helps.
  • Marchesboy
    Options
    Brittany Ferries have cancelled my sailing on May 3 to Santander. Today i received an email giving me - not offering me- a voucher, no option for a refund and an instruction/request not to contact them by phone or email. I appreciate that they are extremely busy atm , but find this unacceptable.  Am i entitled to a refund ? I see from other posts here other people in the same position but cannot find any information about anyone who has yet received a refund !  Anyone any further forward ?
  • linusp0805
    Options
    Brittany ferrys have cancelled the my booking  and have offered a voucher,  I cannot see us travelling this year and at 77 and with brezit what are my rights with regards a refund 
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2020 at 8:25AM
    Options
    Brittany Ferries have cancelled my sailing on May 3 to Santander. Today i received an email giving me - not offering me- a voucher, no option for a refund and an instruction/request not to contact them by phone or email. I appreciate that they are extremely busy atm , but find this unacceptable.  Am i entitled to a refund ? I see from other posts here other people in the same position but cannot find any information about anyone who has yet received a refund !  Anyone any further forward ?
    Martins bound to have covered it on his tv show or his news.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,562 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2020 at 8:16AM
    Options
    Many travel companies are trying to offer only vouchers
    I would point them towards the terms and conditions they supplied and you agreed to which state
    "If we change or cancel your booking, you may be entitled to certain legal rights as described in sections 2(ii), (iii) and (iv) in the Conditions of Carriage below. Other than as described in these sections, we shall not be liable to compensate you for any loss or costs you incur as a result of changes or cancellations made by us.

2(iii) Re-routing and reimbursement in the event of cancelled or delayed departures

Where a sailing is delayed for more than 90 minutes or cancelled we will provide you the choice of either, a specific re-routing option to your final destination as set out in your transport contract at the earliest opportunity at no additional charge; or re-imbursement of the price that was paid for transport contract within 7 days."

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/terms/general-ferry-booking-terms#after
  • R3dders
    R3dders Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in the same 'boat'.  I even paid extra for the Flexi booking which gives extra cancellation rights.  Trouble is they have closed down all telephone lines to prevent telephone contact and it takes 3 days to get any response to an online contact form.  The usual response does not answer your query and you cannot reply to the email and have to send a new email to ask a follow up question.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback