5 months to emerge as a butterfly

edited 6 April 2020 at 9:50AM in Debt Free Diaries
857 replies 111.4K views

Replies

• benbenandmebenbenandme Forumite
    11.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    So the original hottie did have some extra work come in yesterday, he text me in the morning to say he'd struggle to get over here and back (45 minutes each way) but was happy to as he wanted to see me. I said I could go to his as that would give us more time, so that's what we did and a lovely time was had by all ;)

The house is still looking nice and sparkly, I've put one load of washing on this morning and need to hoover through again, other than that it's pretty much still done. Today I've got someone coming to quote for the gate soon, then I want to get on top of the banking for this month as it's pretty much gone to pot, then I'm meeting a mate down the beach for a good long walk at lunchtime to get todays steps done. My football has been cancelled again tonight too.

I want to organise the freezer again too later, I need to get a load more batch cooking done and fill it up again. 
    Mortgage Total: £60,984 / £75,000 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    2022 Gas/Electric extra £££ earned £628 Matched Betting profits £452.87
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Jealous on your clean house. I just cba right now to do any housework at all!
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
    11.7K Posts
    Forumite
    It's amazing what the thought of a hot guy coming round does Drawingaline :) 
    11.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Morning, yesterday I met a mate for a coffee and a walk, I also had someone come round to quote for new upstairs windows. I used them before at my old flat and they were great, anyway, they said I don't need new windows, I just need new hinges for two of them and a piece of glass replaced in the third as it's blown. He reckons it'll be around £200ish which is much better news than I was expecting, hopefully I'll get that done in the Easter holidays.

Today I got up and went out for a walk, stupidly not taking my coat and halfway it chucked it down, so I was utterly drenched. Home, hot shower and a coffee later and I'm sat listening to the rain hammer on the conservatory roof, feeling quite glad that I've already got half of todays steps done :)

The guy is coming this afternoon to fit the new back gate, I'll be glad when that job is done. Not sure if the tree guys are coming today or tomorrow, he hasn't messaged me to confirm yet ... 

So the rest of today will mainly be spent looking at finance stuff again - yesterday I had another email from my energy company; I was on a fixed deal til the end of January (£69 a month), when that ended it went up to £124 a month, yesterday they've told me that from April it will go up to £150 a month ... no idea where people are meant to just magic this extra money from. Then the news re Ukraine this morning makes me think it will only get worse again. I'm avoiding watching the new anymore, its far too depressing and worrying.
    11.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Gate man has been and its done, he's been paid, happy days :)

11.7K Posts
    Forumite
    So the energy bill will work out at £5 a day for gas and electric, obviously we're coming up to the warmer months finally so I can cut back drastically for a while, but overall things have to change. I've gone over the old bills and written down monthly usage for the last year, now the challenge is on to reduce it. The heating is down to 16* now so hopefully won't kick in very often for a while, I've adjusted my readings so I can track half hourly usage online and via the app now. The next step is to go around the house and switch off anything that's on standby or plugged in but not being used. I have a spare freezer in the garage that is on but hasn't been used for about a year. It needs turning off, defrosting and the food chucked. It sounds wasteful but actually the stuff in that one isn't much anyway, lots of ice cubes, sliced lemons, ice pops etc. nothing much of value. The door on that freezer doesn't shut properly, well it does but if it gets knocked it can be left not quite shut. Maybe I'll fill it with blackberries in the summer which will keep me going with my porridge through the winter. Most of my lights are led not halogen which is good, the boiler is new, but there must still be savings to be made. 
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have always been tight with the heating and actually the gas bill doesn't concern me at all. Our electric bill is horrific! Working from home isn't helping, the girl not having a radiator in her room so has electric heaters, and she feels the cold, (that will go down when she goes to uni in September) and a family of gadget owners all adds up. Add in the fans we need in the summer and I cannot see how we can save much on the bill at all.

I am refusing to increase the DD and am going to pay as and when I can. Just as a sod you to the whole thing. I would cancel the DD entirely and pay as and when, but then you get charged an extra £50 per fuel per year for the privilege of not having a DD. 
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
    11.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Hmm, the only things I managed to find were the toaster, kettle and microwave. They can just be switched on when needed (toaster is only used about once a week). Other than that there isn't much plugged in - tv, landline (which I do still use), sky, a couple of lamps, laptop and ds computer. I do need to get in the habit of turning the laptop off properly and turning the tv off at the wall but other than that I can't see where much else can be saved plug-wise. I haven't put the heating on today (set at 16 and it hasn't kicked in yet). I'm bloody cold though, lots of jumpers on today and now have got into bed nice and early so I can warm up. It's really no way to live though is it and what with the horrific news about Ukraine today I am feeling really quite miserable. I'm deliberately avoiding watching / listening to the news as it will just make me anxious and there's nothing I can do about it all :(
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Benben and Drawingaline - I'm nervous about gas and electricity costs too.  Even cutting back can't help with the standing charge increase.  I'm a bit in credit at the moment but that won't last very long.  How on earth will people already in fuel poverty manage - oh silly me I completely forgot about the £200 loan thingy 🙃
    11.7K Posts
    Forumite
    I agree Blackcats, my standing charge alone now is £24 a month before I've used any gas or electric at all ... it feels almost futile yet I feel I have to try to minimise my usage as much as possible but I know it's only going to make minimal difference. And this is all before the next expected rises in October. Oh and then the National Insurance rise too ... but hey, no need to worry, I'm sure there will be a nice payrise around the corner, or maybe not - I literally can't recall the last one I had :(