5% Isa

Options
I've been offered a fixed rate 5 year isa with returns of 5% p.a. by a company called Hamilton Rose
Any advice or has anyone had any dealings with this company 
I think it sounds too good to be true, although they are Fca registered 

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Alexland said:
    Google what happened with the similar London Capital & Finance mini bond ISAs.

I am not allowed to say this is a scam but with the government lockdown remember to exercise and I suggest running at least a mile.

Also I hear we shouldn't be touching things even with 2 metre barge poles.
    Fixed that for you
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    badger09 said:
    Fixed that for you
    Thanks its important we take a measured and sensible response to this very high risk.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 April 2020 at 2:49PM
    Options
    The genuine Hamilton Rose is not a product provider but an intermediary.    An article 3 IFA firm.   So, they provide advice on capital at risk investment products and funds.  

The FCA register confirms, as you would expect from an IFA, that they do not have deposit permissions.   So, they are not a product provider and do not have permissions to issue retail deposits to consumers.

So, either you have got the wrong end of the stick regarding a genuine investment product (such as a risk based investment that has been returning around 5% p.a. - which is in the ballpark of expectation for low risk over the last 20 years) or you have come across a scam clone firm that is using a the name of the genuine regulated company to scam people.    

Can you let us know where you saw this ISA advertised as it will help us see which it is.

edit:
    I have found 
    https://www.theisaexpert.co.uk/ which makes reference to Hamilton Rose and an ISA.  However, the FCA are already aware of this site:
    https://www.fca.org.uk/news/warnings/theisaexpertcouk-isa-expert
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Antoeddy
    Options
    An adviser from BEST-CASH-ISAs.com
    Contacted me after I did a search online to invest in an isa,and offered me this one.
  • Antoeddy
    Options
    Sorry that's best-rate-isas.com
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 April 2020 at 4:27PM
    Options
    I would suggest you make no further contact, however persuasive they are, and stick with the Cash ISA providers on this MSE website. Beware of any similar approaches as your contact details may now be circulated to people with intent to get their hands on your money. Good job you asked here.
  • afis1904
    afis1904 Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That site name already sounds very shady.
  • kuratowski
    kuratowski Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think www.smartmoneyadvisor.co.uk is another site by the same people - the wording and photos are extremely similar.

Together with www.investorsupermarket.co.uk (which is on the FCA warnings list) this means 3 of the top 4 ads returned by a google search of "best isa rates" are - pick your word - barge pole, shady, whatever.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Antoeddy said:
    An adviser from BEST-CASH-ISAs.com
    Contacted me after I did a search online to invest in an isa,and offered me this one.
    Never do a search online to find the best ISAs, always use a trusted site.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback