Natwest Card Reader

Options
NedS
NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 3 April 2020 at 9:54PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hi,
The misses has opened a NatWest Select account and is waiting for her card reader to arrive so she can use online banking.
In the meantime, can she use my card reader (also NatWest Select Acc) or is there anything specific that links the reader to the account? I'm guessing not, but just want to be sure as it states the reader must be activated on the account when it arrives.
She was wanting to use her online banking this weekend.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, there is normally nothing unique about each card reader. Even one from a different bank should work. 
  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Can't see it being a problem. They all seem to be the same. I'm using a NatWest-badged one to operate my Nationwide account. That's a bigger difference than yours!
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 April 2020 at 10:22AM
    Options
    I've had problem when I've opened an account with a new provider and until they had sent a card reader and allowed for it to be received they would not allow me to use one from a different provider even though it would have worked perfectly well in generating a code because of the common algorithms used.  So your card reader could be used after your wife receives hers!  (Hope that NatWest are not like that - perhaps you could let us know.)
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 4 April 2020 at 12:08PM
    Options
    Ordered Natwest card reader on 25th March, rolled in today, spoke to someone on 25th March who said I had to allow 24 hours from ordering card reader to using old  Natwest card reader I have from previous Natwest account, tried old card reader reader said wrong card, tried other card readers left me 1 more attempt from card being blocked from online banking
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They even work with cards from banks that don't use card readers. Used RBS and Barclays readers to check pin on my Lloyds and TSB cards before. :smiley:
  • Tildaplum
    Tildaplum Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes you can use one but their fraud systems seem to be a bit twitchy if you use it too soon after ordering it i.e. they don't believe it can have arrived so quickly
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tildaplum said:
    Yes you can use one but their fraud systems seem to be a bit twitchy if you use it too soon after ordering it i.e. they don't believe it can have arrived so quickly

That's what I found.  They know full well that the readers from other banks work just as well but somehow can't accept that you have one!
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses.
    Used it today and worked no problem. Having read up on how the readers work, I can see there is nothing specific about the card reader. It's been a few days since the bank said they sent it out so will probably arrive tomorrow.

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 April 2020 at 9:48PM
    Options
    I have five 'card readers' here. One Tesco, one Nationwide and one Nat West as well as two unbranded (I think one may be for Ulster Bank) - they all seem interchangeable as discussed above.
    Our granddaughter loves to pretend they are her mobile phones - well she used to do before the lockdown!
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got two Nationwide, one Barclays, one NatWest, one RBS, one Co-Op and an unbranded one that I cannot remember which bank it came from, and they are all interchangeable.  I just have one sitting on my desk, and stick anyone's card into it.
    Marks and Spencer is different (as one would expect) - you don't insert a card into that one.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure