PIP AND EPILEPSY

Hi
Just wandered if anyone was claiming pip for epilepsy as I am about to fill in the form.
Any help would be useful

Comments

• Gig1968
    Gig1968 Posts: 311
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thankyiu so much.  I have seen that I wandered if there were any real people with claims and I wandered about their personal experiences of claiming.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
     Yup, Epilepsy and several other conditions. If you have regular seizures you'll get higher rate mobility. Daily living depends on your specific circumstances. 
  • Gig1968
    Forumite
    Yeah I get regular seuzures I've been hospital for near enough three months since June last year with the condition. I have no idea they are coming on so I am in danger of falls as they are grand mal. I no longer cook as I have had many an accident with hot imolements. I'm not sure whether I fall in the bracket for this benefit or not. Were the other conditions you have a factor in you getting pip
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like you would get both components then. I originally only got mobility re my epilepsy and I appealed and got daily living based on my other conditions. Your epilepsy sounds worse so you should get daily living and mobility. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Be aware that if you are in hospital you will not be paid anything until you are discharged. But do go ahead and make the claim - they take a long time to process even in normal times.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • I have epilepsy and 2-3 grand mal per week plus daily absences, I was transfered from DLA to PIP last year and get standard rate care, and enhanced rate mobility, its worth researching the descriptors for PIP and seeing where you fall within them, if you require more help just come back and ask or you can pm me
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 March 2020 at 5:14PM
    May be of use when writing the PIP2 form:
    "Upper Tribunal Judges - in CPIP/1599/2016 - held that a decision maker should look at whether there is a real possibility that harm might occur and also at how great the harm might be.

The greater the potential harm, the less likely it needs to be that it would happen on any specific occasion.

This means that there is a much greater chance of claimants who are at risk because of a sensory disability, epilepsy, heart disease, learning difficulties, dementia, mental health and other conditions being awarded PIP.

But, it will be necessary to show someone would be at risk of harm, rather than simply distressed, to score points for descriptors that exclude consideration of psychological distress.

Read decision summary "

Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Gig1968
    Forumite
    My hospital stays are generally between 7 and eleven days ( unfortunately they are very frequent) which is why the total stays in hospital mount upl. I think stays of under fourteen days aren't reportable I'm not sure . I'm not telling them anyway..  I think that is true let me know if it isn't .
    I have plenty of discharge letters and consultants letters that should help my claim I hope. When I have clusters of seizures anything up to 15 to 20 a day I'm often kept in a critical care ward.  It really is unpleasant. I have rung up and I await the form. I have looked at it. My biggest problems that I need to indicate on the form are cooking. Anxiety after clusters of just about doing anything that can hurt me like climbing stairs and having a bath fear of drownig. Going to the shops. Have fitted many times in the street before now. We will see how I get on I know how busy they are now. It's just hard transferring that to a form.

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 26 March 2020 at 6:42PM
    The Gig1968 said:  I think stays of under fourteen days aren't reportable I'm not sure .
    The rules for hospital stays are that you can be paid benefit for 28 days while in hospital. If you are in and out of hospital and the gap between stays is 28 days or less then the two stays in hospital are treated as linked and have to be added together. If the gap is more than 28 days they are separate and the count is reset.
    Days of admission and discharge do not count as days in hospital.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure