UK Companies that have announced dividend cuts in 2020 (so far)

Comments

• MaxiRobriguez
    MaxiRobriguez Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 March 2020 at 3:54PM
    I'm expecting most of the companies I hold in my S+S ISA to cut their dividends, which is a shame since I bought them for precisely their security of dividend but so be it. I'll just be happy if they all get through this.
  • Declared dividends for FY19 are most likely safe. 
    No, there are lots of dividends already declared being cancelled and not put to a vote at the AGM of the company.

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Declared dividends for FY19 are most likely safe. 
    No, there are lots of dividends already declared being cancelled and not put to a vote at the AGM of the company.

Let's see. Both have strong balance sheets. 
  • Thrugelmir
    edited 25 March 2020 at 12:46AM
    Whitbread
    Forterra 
    Grafton Group
    Taylor Wimpey.
    Shaftesbury
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    @ Thrugelmir

I'm sure many will find this thread very useful, but might I suggest that you add new companies to the 1st post, rather than list them in separate posts. Otherwise, the thread could become very long indeed and it would be necessary to read every post so as not to miss anything
  • Thrugelmir
    edited 25 March 2020 at 4:19PM
    Not going to update further. The extent of the crisis is now very apparent. Rippling out financially through the vast majority of listed UK companies. Focus will turn instead those companies that maintain dividend payouts. 
  • Username999
    Username999 Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    One person caring about another represents life's greatest value.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ouch yes. Difficult to know if these dividend cuts will recover over the coming years - I saw an estimate saying around a third will not bounce back. Re-emphasises to me how income or natural yield should only be a part of an investment strategy.
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 April 2020 at 11:43AM
    It seems that cash is king for whoever holds it. With dividends being withdrawn from payment however, it makes the investors peasants, and the company a tyrant.
    I don't see investors taking this quietly. It also shows how much borrowings are being rejected in favour of management turning 'Sheriff of Nottingham' to raise liquidity. 

One question I can't answer is how is this being done without agreement at AGM's? Am I right in thinking we have some people who "think its all over" when it hasn't even begun.?

Pension companies and those relying on these payments for their personal pensions, must be panicking about what happens to pensions payments if dividends are not handed over..._
  • Thrugelmir
    Companies aren't holding war chests full of cash. Totally the reverse. Many have high levels of borrowings. Much of which was built up using cheap debt to fund buybacks. There's more Corporate debt now than at the time of the GFC in 2006-2008. Finding companies that will continue to pay dividends whatever. Is similar to panning for gold. With nuggests getting smaller as yields fall. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure