Brown "rusty" water leaking from top of radiator
8 replies 583 views
I have a 19 year old gas central heating system which was installed by British Gas and has been exclusively maintained by them. New Potterton combi boiler installed by them in 2013. I have always had BG homecare for boiler and central heating cover. However, I cancelled this after the annual service in September 2019 as the price was getting too expensive.
In 2016 one of the radiators in the living room was leaking brown water which left rust stains on the flooring. The BG engineer replaced the radiator with a brand new one as part of my Homecare agreement. However, the same radiator is leaking a very small amount of brown water again from the top, where you would bleed the radiator from. The Boiler was losing some pressure so I topped it up. Bled the two upstairs radiators but only one had a small amount of air in it.
My questions are:
1. Do I need a new radiator?
2. Do I need chemicals/inhibitors?? added to the boiler?
3. Do I REALLY need a powerflush??
4. Should I restart my Homecare with British Gas and get them out OR should I get a local heating engineer to have a look?
5. Roughly how much would a new radiator including installation cost me?
6. Is the leaking radiator causing damage to the boiler?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance