Hand Sanitiser

Options
Hi all.  Has anyone been able to get any over the last week or so?  If so, from where?  They are out of stock everywhere near me.  Is it just a case of buying them off eBay or Amazon now?  Is there a way of making my own or something similar?  

I know hand washing with soap and water is the best but it's not always possible.  

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere on here that shampoo (and something else that I can't remember) contains the same active ingredients.
    Maybe do a search.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere on here that shampoo (and something else that I can't remember) contains the same active ingredients.
    Maybe do a search.
    Shampoo, shower gel, all that generic 'soapy' stuff has the same kind of surfactants as handwash and will dismantle the virus :smile: not useful in place of hand sanitiser when you can't rinse it off though!

I keep getting adverts through Instagram for it; some are moderate prices (2 or 3 times the price you'd pay in a shop) but others are ridiculous (I report those ones!). The manufacturers do seem to be catching up on making it but whether these greedy popped-up companies get hold of it first before the shops, I don't know.
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks so much guys.  I actually stocked up on shower gel in December when Boots had loads of them were discontinued. I have about 10 bottles and will split them between 3 families.  So I won't have to worry about handwash, phew!  

I'm running out of wipes though so will have to hunt them down at some point.

I can't get the hand sanitiser gel anywhere.  I might have to buy them off eBay as a last resort.  I can't believe the extortionate prices people are charging.  I can work from home but I have to go in when I am "on duty" and am absolutely dreading it.   
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fairy do an anti bacterial dish washing liquid which is supposedly a good alternative.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 March 2020 at 1:38PM
    Options
    The simplest recipe is to make a 70% solution of isopropyl alcohol and water. (i.e. 70ml alcohol + 30ml water).
    Some of my friends and family have said they can't get hold of any alcohol, only to find they already have some stashed in a cupboard somewhere unused for a while.
    The important thing, too, is to use it properly. NHS guidelines suggest you should apply enough to take at least 20 seconds for it to rub in before the alcohol evaporates.
    Hope this helps.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Spacepig
    Spacepig Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you ordered from there? I noticed a lot of places will let you order, pay, then tell you it's not in stock.
    I picked up some isopropyl from ebay but even that seems to be impossible to find now.
  • Schoolworker
    Options
    My husband 2 small bottles from Morrisons last week. I think they must have just stocked up. 
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just buy a bar of soap.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport