Internet at new build

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help? 
We are due to move into a new build property, we are the first occupants. We have been told that the developer/builders have signed the whole development up to British gas for gas and electric and BT for phone/internet. Whilst we are able to change our gas/electric provider we have been told by BT that we are unable to change our internet and that we are/will be fixed into a 24 month contract with them. Surely this is not right as we didn't agree to this in the first place? BT are very expensive compared to other providers and I am not happy we are almost being "forced" into a contact we didn't ask for in the first place! 
Any advice gratefully received. Thanks 

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 March 2020 at 3:37PM
    Your complaint is with the developer not BT .
    They did a deal to lay the services in return for a period of exclusive use .
    Your solicitor should have told you all this before purchase .

Note this is almost certain to be Fibre to the premises  and even if the estate was not locked down few providers use FTTP so far .

See multiple identical posts.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    What does the developer say?
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Don't sign up with BT if you don't want them.  Instruct your solicitor to ensure that nothing the developer presents you with is a contract with BT. 

As usual when people come on here and talk about their brand new house they omit to mention if the line is FTTP or a conventional copper line.  If it's FTTP you won't find much cheaper than BT (Talk Talk, Sky and so on not being options for you as they elect not to provide service over FTTP lines, though they could if they got their bums in gear).
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • markyb12
    markyb12 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 March 2020 at 1:02PM
    I was just going to post a similar post ,
    i move into a new build in June , and been told it’s fibre to the property , and sky told me that they can’t provide me in the new house .
    looking at the list of providers, it’s Bt. or some of the smaller providers,
    at moment I get 79 mb with sky and it’s £25 a month , but similar package with BT is almost a tenner extra , plus it’s a 24 month contract ,so I’ll be paying £240 extra over a 2 year period .
    so I have No choice but to choose BT or go without, 
    when Ive payed all this money for a new build I’m not happy that I can’t choose my isp.
    what happened to choice and competition .
    now I can go to sky and say x y & z are doing cheaper packages than you , can you match it ,
    N ow I don’t have that choice , unless sky come onboard before June 

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2020 at 1:16PM
    Well your lack of choice is due to nobody wanting to supply you via FTTP .
    No firm is forced to supply you with a service just to make competition .
    Why buy a new build if it has a service you don't like ??

Suggest you complain to ofcom.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Complain to the other ISPs that they are not offering FTTP packages.  There is nothing stopping them doing so.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March 2020 at 10:39PM
    This ‘issue’ comes up quite regularly , even on new builds with Openreach FTTP, the occupant has a choice of providers , even if the builder says you have to use BT, they are wrong, that’s not to say that you can use a provider like Sky or Talk Talk, but that’s is because Sky and Talk Talk have taken a decision not to bother using OR FTTP, there is nothing stopping them, in fact they both say they are going to start offering service over OR FTTP , so if the OP wants to wait for them , do that ( obviously asking how long the wait may be, is like asking how long is a piece of string ).
    If the OP doesn’t want to use BT, there are 4 or 5 other ISP’s that can arrange service over OR FTTP, but don’t expect them to be budget providers , generally they are premium providers and charge accordingly.
    There are always some that say , ‘it’s true BT have an exclusive period with OR FTTP’ but it’s not true at all, if anyone can provide a link to showing it to be true I’d gladly eat my words, OR have to treat all providers in an equivalent way, there are no exceptions, if OR ‘favoured’ BT, they both would be heavily fined by Ofcom.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You dont have to go with BT though, you could always pick a sim from a network with the best signal and the most data. 
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JJ_Egan said:
    Your complaint is with the developer not BT .
    They did a deal to lay the services in return for a period of exclusive use .
    Your solicitor should have told you all this before purchase .

Note this is almost certain to be Fibre to the premises  and even if the estate was not locked down few providers use FTTP so far .

See multiple identical posts.
    The developer or more the staff in the showroom told me about who the services will be from in my build, in fact they are the same as the OP's, not decided if I'll get a sim as per my previous post or just go with BT.
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2020 at 5:55PM
    I may have the same issue. I found this:
    https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-providers

Definitely more expensive when I've looked around. Couldn't find costs for all listed.
    Tried to ring BT but couldn't get through (not surprised due to Corona).
    Can someone confirm if these are alternatives to BT/FTTP on a new build?
    - Install a new telephone line (FTTC)
    - Go with Virgin Media.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family