Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Online shopping delivery slots during crisis

New Post Advanced Search

Online shopping delivery slots during crisis

edited 13 April at 9:38AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
414 replies 39.4K views
itm2itm2 Forumite
912 posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Hung up my suit!
✭✭✭
edited 13 April at 9:38AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
I pay £5/month for an Asda delivery pass, and usually place orders for home delivery 1-2 days before the delivery. Tonight I tried to book a delivery and found that there are no slots available until next Thursday (almost a week away). Even at Christmas time this would be unusual. Has anyone else had problems? Is panic buying to blame?
I'm in West London, by the way.

Replies

• KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It could be panic buying, or something like a driver absent meaning there is less capacity.
  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend works at Sainsburys and he is a packer and he said they are much more busier than normal, I guess Asda will be same, panic buyers
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    3.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not necessarily panic buyers, more like I don't want to expose myself to other members of the public so I'll have a delivery instead.  It is something I am considering - I am in the 8% death rate zone.  But then I wonder if having a home delivery puts me even more at risk.  After all if the delivery guy is self employed then he gets no sick pay, will he actually self isolate if it means he can't pay his rent?  How many people do you know with very little sick pay who have gone in to work coughing & sneezing all over everybody?  Saving their sick days until they may actually be TOO sick to get into work.  Been there done that thankfully no longer need to wear the T-shirt!
  • edited 8 March at 10:02AM
    BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 March at 10:02AM
    I've always shopped in-store but early in the morning . At 7am it's virtually empty in the supermarket bar a few shelf stackers and old people. Self service till and home I go . 

I've no plan to change ( and I am in a higher risk group ) as I have no direct close interaction with anybody in store and wash my hands as soon as I get home before storing the shopping. 

I don't see that is any greater risk than getting a delivery

Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • edited 8 March at 1:32PM
    StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 March at 1:32PM
    Out of curiousity, I just checked when the first available delivery slots were for me for each of the big supermarkets. Asda & Morrisons were the worst at 5 days, for all the rest (Tesco/Sainsburys/Waitrose/Ocado) it was just a day or two. Obviously this will vary according to your location.
    Stompa
  • edited 10 March at 8:10AM
    redfoxredfox Forumite, Board Guide
    15.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 March at 8:10AM
    while it’s easy to wander off-topic that could stop newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily so please keep this thread on topic. To ask a different MoneySaving subject please start your own thread  If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in the Moneysavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email protected]
    Off topic posts have been removed.

I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries and Shop but don't drop boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• mwarbymwarby Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's slots for asda all Friday, Saturday and Sunday here (Cumbernauld store I think).
  • PompeyPetePompeyPete Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ordered Tuesday evening for a delivery tomorrow (Friday) afternoon delivery.  Everything available.....so far so good.

Message an hour ago.....no bog rolls.  Surprise, surprise.

Started a 'dummy' new order online.

The out of stock bog rolls are suddenly available on the new order.

STINKS!

• phdwhophdwho Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    This is only going to worsen. The more people isolate the more they will need deliveries. Are the supermarkets equipped for this? Do they care? The government doesn't seem to have addressed this.
    Meanwhile if, like me, you live rurally then local shops will struggle because no one will be using them and so they will be lost. They certainly can't stay open if it's not sustainable to do so and stock will be perishable.
    Absolute shambles. No forethought or planning at all from government

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    phdwho said:
    Meanwhile if, like me, you live rurally then local shops will struggle because no one will be using them and so they will be lost. They certainly can't stay open if it's not sustainable to do so and stock will be perishable.
    Absolute shambles. No forethought or planning at all from government
    Probably way before your time but local shops used to deliver, it was one USP that set them apart from supermarkets. Once Sms started deliveries people  voted with their wallets, and now you want to blame the government because shoppers failed to pay extra & keep local shop delivery