Forum Home » Motoring

Why would a main dealership carry out an MOT six months before it was due ?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Why would a main dealership carry out an MOT six months before it was due ?

23 replies 1K views
Decepcionada19Decepcionada19 Forumite
10 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello,
I bought a Hyundai i10 (registered September 2015) from a main dealership in mid March 2019. Both previous MOTs (dated 04 Sept 2018 and 12 March 2019) were carried out at the dealership's own garage. Both were Passes and no advisories. My first question: Is it normal practice for a dealership to carry out an MOT six months before it's due?
My car had its third MOT last week at my local garage. Passed but with the following advisories that "nearside and offside rear brake discs were worn, pitted or scored but not seriously weakened (inner face 1.1.14 (a) (ii)". I have clocked up only 2,626 miles since buying the car last March. (The current mileage is 25,431). Would anyone out there advise me whether I'm being overly distrustful that the March 2019 MOT was done early by the dealership to hide any issues with the rear brake discs? Thanks.

Replies

• edited 5 March at 2:48PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    22.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 March at 2:48PM
    Quite normal to sell a used car with a full 12 months MOT even if the current one is still well in date.
    Brake discs don't like not being used so are likely to corrode quicker in that low mileage scenario.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would say that selling with 12 months MOT is going to add value to the car, compared to one with just 6 months. Could just be standard practise for a main dealer.
    4 1/2 years would be about right for issues with disks to start cropping up. Even if it's not done many miles.

• nick74nick74 Forumite
    581 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yes, when buying a 2.5 year old car from a main dealer once I got them to put a years MOT on it. Mainly to save me the hassle of taking it back for an MOT six months later.
  • k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strangely it doesn't specifically mention on here but assuming sold as 'approved used' it would come with 12m MOT. I'd assume the 'early' MOT ties up with a change of ownership. It's one of the weirder conspiracy theories I've heard that it's to hide some worn brake discs
    https://used.hyundai.co.uk/approved
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    30.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Near-on 5yo car, 5k/year average, 2.5k in the last years?

No wonder the rear discs are rusty. Poor things probably never do anything.
  • edited 5 March at 3:27PM
    AndyjfletAndyjflet Forumite
    233 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 5 March at 3:27PM
    I work in a main dealer, perfectly normal, would you buy a used car with less than 6 months MOT ? we like t provide our customers with 12 months MOT on a used car.
    Frankly your distrust is a bit insulting, that a garage would MOT a car early to pre empt brake discs going rusty, brake discs and hubs are bare metal, they usually do. 
    Baby Step 1 - £225 saved for emergency fund
    M&S Loan £13133 inc interest full term
    M&S Credit card 0% £3560.74
  • ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    203 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Passed but with the following advisories that "nearside and offside rear brake discs were worn, pitted or scored but not seriously weakened (inner face 1.1.14 (a) (ii)". I have clocked up only 2,626 miles since buying the car last March.
    Rear brake discs are more likely to suffer rust when the car does fewer miles. Having said that, just keep going until they fail the next MOT. Some testers do like to list advisories because they then get more work.

• ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t think I’ve ever had to replace discs or pads in 30 years of motoring. I never believe them when they say they could do with replacing. Let the Mot fail then first. 
    I do around 14000 a year and drive like a chauffeur so my tyres last well too. 
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
  • RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every used car I have bought (from a dealership) has been given a new MOT before I collect it.

• RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every used car I have bought (from a dealership) has been given a new MOT before I collect it.