problems with oil boiler.

Options
I have a fairly new boiler (.Still under warranty until May 2021) .Just before Christmas I had a delivery of  heating oil . went on holiday in January  for a week and the boiler was working as normal,it was the same setting twice a day . When  I returned from holiday the boiler was locked out and looks like it had been for some time. I reset it but over the next week it kept shutting off. I called the boiler engineer out and he said it was a bit black near the photo cell ,anyway he replaced what he thought was the problem but 3 weeks later the same thing happened again.This time the engineer said since it was under warranty it needs Worcester boilers to come and see what the problem was. The only thing different was that I had changed oil suppliers and this all occurred with a new supplier . I have never had any problem with any heating oil and I have had oilboilers for 25 years. Could the oil be at fault? I have found that this company are offering two types of heating oil on their website. When I rang them they didnt advise anything different about the  oil. The problem is how do I sort this out ? Will it keep breaking down or do I have to get the tank drained? I have heard there is an additive that can clean the oil in a  tank does anyone know what this is?  Or have any experience of this? 

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March 2020 at 12:32AM
    Options
    I'm no expert but doubt if this is a problem with the oil. I doubt if draining the tank will help. As for the additives, I've looked into this in the past and there seems little evidence they help, though for Agas I believe it makes a difference.
    There are two types of oil used for domestic heating: 1) Gas oil – also known as 35-second oil or red diesel. This is a heavier oil generally used in older boilers, in agriculture or commercially. 2) Kerosene – also known as 28-second or heating oil. This is a lighter and cleaner fuel, and the most common type used in homes in the UK.
    Your boiler is under warranty. Get it fixed under warranty!
    As an aside, I had an endlessly recurring problem with my boiler cutting out which my engineer could not fix. Eventually I decided I either had a duff boiler, or a duff engineer. Choosing the cheaper option,I changed the engineer. New chap diagnosed the solonoid as being to thin via the phone, and promised to change it, and if that did not fix, then he'd replace the original one, refund my money, and start fault-finding again. He was right. 2 years on and it's not cut out once......

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure