»

New employer asking to see my P60

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

New employer asking to see my P60

33 replies 2.1K views
I will recently be starting a new job and one of things my new employer is asking for is a copy of my P60 is this normal practice?  I know they need my P45 but didn't realise that they needed to see my P60.  I am a little bit nervous as I was a little bit creative with what my current salary was during the interview process :(

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    45.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    789 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I will recently be starting a new job and one of things my new employer is asking for is a copy of my P60 is this normal practice?  I know they need my P45 but didn't realise that they needed to see my P60.  I am a little bit nervous as I was a little bit creative with what my current salary was during the interview process :(

Not saying being creative with your salary is a good idea but a P60 does not usually include details of your "salary".

It is your taxable pay which these days rarely equates to your salary.

Might be you contribute 10% under a net pay pension scheme so your "salary" of say £40k is only shown as £36K on the P60.

With salary sacrifice the difference can be huge, some people can have a £40k "salary"  and a P60 showing only maybe £15k
  • Allezallez89Allezallez89 Forumite
    24 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper

Not saying being creative with your salary is a good idea but a P60 does not usually include details of your "salary".

Might be you contribute 10% under a net pay pension scheme so your "salary" of say £40k is only shown as £36K on the P60.

With salary sacrifice the difference can be huge, some people can have a £40k "salary"  and a P60 showing only maybe £15k
    Thank you - that makes me feel a little bit better :)
    24 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Browntoa said:
    Hmm not exactly the same situation but thanks anyway.
    24 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper

Just thinking a bit more about it - would you say it was normal practice to ask for it though??
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Just thinking a bit more about it - would you say it was normal practice to ask for it though??
    Not unusual where there may be doubt about the salary claimed to have been received by a job applicant.
    24 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper

Not unusual where there may be doubt about the salary claimed to have been received by a job applicant.
    Great!  Do I have to submit it?
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The latest P60 will be for the year 2018/19 so won't tell a new employer anything about your income in the last 9 months.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    789 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    TELLIT01 said:
    The latest P60 will be for the year 2018/19 so won't tell a new employer anything about your income in the last 9 months.

Good point and you won't get one from your old employer for 2019:20 either.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    How much did you over inflate your salary by?

I would say it’s unusual practice unless they have reason to believe you may have lied about your salary. Have they recently received references?