New employer asking to see my P60

I will recently be starting a new job and one of things my new employer is asking for is a copy of my P60 is this normal practice?  I know they need my P45 but didn't realise that they needed to see my P60.  I am a little bit nervous as I was a little bit creative with what my current salary was during the interview process :(

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • I will recently be starting a new job and one of things my new employer is asking for is a copy of my P60 is this normal practice?  I know they need my P45 but didn't realise that they needed to see my P60.  I am a little bit nervous as I was a little bit creative with what my current salary was during the interview process :(

Not saying being creative with your salary is a good idea but a P60 does not usually include details of your "salary".

It is your taxable pay which these days rarely equates to your salary.

Might be you contribute 10% under a net pay pension scheme so your "salary" of say £40k is only shown as £36K on the P60.

With salary sacrifice the difference can be huge, some people can have a £40k "salary"  and a P60 showing only maybe £15k
  • I will recently be starting a new job and one of things my new employer is asking for is a copy of my P60 is this normal practice?  I know they need my P45 but didn't realise that they needed to see my P60.  I am a little bit nervous as I was a little bit creative with what my current salary was during the interview process :(

Not saying being creative with your salary is a good idea but a P60 does not usually include details of your "salary".

Might be you contribute 10% under a net pay pension scheme so your "salary" of say £40k is only shown as £36K on the P60.

With salary sacrifice the difference can be huge, some people can have a £40k "salary"  and a P60 showing only maybe £15k
    Thank you - that makes me feel a little bit better :)
  • Browntoa said:
    Hmm not exactly the same situation but thanks anyway.

Just thinking a bit more about it - would you say it was normal practice to ask for it though??

Just thinking a bit more about it - would you say it was normal practice to ask for it though??
    Not unusual where there may be doubt about the salary claimed to have been received by a job applicant.

Not unusual where there may be doubt about the salary claimed to have been received by a job applicant.
    Great!  Do I have to submit it?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The latest P60 will be for the year 2018/19 so won't tell a new employer anything about your income in the last 9 months.
  • TELLIT01 said:
    The latest P60 will be for the year 2018/19 so won't tell a new employer anything about your income in the last 9 months.

Good point and you won't get one from your old employer for 2019:20 either.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I will recently be starting a new job and one of things my new employer is asking for is a copy of my P60 is this normal practice?  I know they need my P45 but didn't realise that they needed to see my P60.  I am a little bit nervous as I was a little bit creative with what my current salary was during the interview process :(
    How much did you over inflate your salary by?

I would say it’s unusual practice unless they have reason to believe you may have lied about your salary. Have they recently received references?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure