»

Car Insurance didn't put policy through - compensation

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Car Insurance didn't put policy through - compensation

26 replies 1.1K views
PieThoughtPieThought Forumite
6 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi I was wondering about your thoughts on this. I was left without insurance for 2 days due to insurer error. They have offered me compensation for this at £75. Are people of the opinion this is a reasonable amount? Im looking for an unbiased view  as well as whether I even have a chance of getting more. I'm super bias because I don't think any amount of money will offset the stress it has, and still is, causing. :( (because I had to then quickly get a policy which had to be a black box policy which is playing up.) Any advice would be greatly  appreciated. 

Replies

• edited 26 February at 10:58AM
    KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February at 10:58AM
    £75 is more than I would expect. Insurance is fairly quick to sort out, 5 mins on a comparison website, I am not sure why you had to 'quickly' get a black box policy.

If your black box is playing up, speak to your current insurer.
  • edited 26 February at 11:10AM
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 26 February at 11:10AM
    Because I am a young driver - the insurer previously was not a black box policy and were offering a good price for a renewal. The same price only allowed for a black box policy the next policy up was hundred odd more. There are also different comparison sites, different things the policy's cover, calling the companies up, different excesses e.t.c. I had to quickly get insurance because I had no insurance and had to drive? Therefore didn't have time to properly look for the most suitable/cost effcient policy.

I have obviously contacted my current insurer, but it is the faff of contacting them and sorting it out and making sure it's connected and nothings going wrong everytime I get into the car. (that I wouldn't have had to do if they'd put through my insurance) their new quote was 200£ more since it was not a renewal quote and even after explaining I agreed to the quote before (I now have the telephone recording of this), they said they couldn't now meet it and I didnt have time to fight them on it. 
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
     I had to quickly get insurance because I had no insurance and had to drive? 
    I'm not sure what question you're asking here - can you clarify? Did you have to drive or not? 

With regards to the original issue, with all the bluster and emotion aside I assume that you called to renew, it was agreed and then never put through; correct? 

• neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    14.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compensation for what exactly!
  • mr_stripeymr_stripey Forumite
    34 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    £75 seems more than generous to me. 
  • powerful_Roguepowerful_Rogue Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    How did you find out you wasn't insured?
  • PotbellypigPotbellypig Forumite
    603 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi I was wondering about your thoughts on this. I was left without insurance for 2 days due to insurer error. They have offered me compensation for this at £75. Are people of the opinion this is a reasonable amount? Im looking for an unbiased view  as well as whether I even have a chance of getting more. I'm super bias because I don't think any amount of money will offset the stress it has, and still is, causing. :( (because I had to then quickly get a policy which had to be a black box policy which is playing up.) Any advice would be greatly  appreciated. 
    If it isn't financial compensation you're after, what is it? 
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    JJ_Egan said:
    < Im looking for an unbiased view  as well as whether I even have a chance of getting more>
    Yes you might but they may also withdraw the offer or cancel your insurance .
    Unless I'm reading the OP wrong, the £75 compensation is from the previous insurer not the current one? (I agree that it's ambiguous the way the OP is worded).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • edited 26 February at 6:22PM
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 26 February at 6:22PM
     I had to quickly get insurance because I had no insurance and had to drive? 
    I'm not sure what question you're asking here - can you clarify? Did you have to drive or not? 

With regards to the original issue, with all the bluster and emotion aside I assume that you called to renew, it was agreed and then never put through; correct? 

It wasn't a question. I had to drive but realised the insurance hadn't gone through. Yes this is correct.
    If it isn't financial compensation you're after, what is it? 
    JJ_Egan said:
    <They have offered me compensation for this at £75. Are people of the opinion this is a reasonable amount>
    Yes its reasonable .
    < Im looking for an unbiased view  as well as whether I even have a chance of getting more>
    Yes you might but they may also withdraw the offer or cancel your insurance .
    <
    don't think any amount of money will offset the stress >

If that's true then you need to see your Doctor .
    Remembering the context of my post, the sentiment is that I'd rather have not had to sort all this out and now waste time sorting out the black box and app, than have any compensation they will give, but this is not an option. 
    They are offering financial compensation, and since I am struggling to put a "price" on the aggravation and risk of being fined, getting licence points, which would affect my living, I was asking this forum for advice.
    How did you find out you wasn't insured? 
    I checked before I made a journey home back from my family's where I'd stopped over. neilmcl said:
    Compensation for what exactly!

Time spent sorting out the insurance, ringing up, sorting out new insurance, putting me at risk of driving without insurance (which could be a fine of 300£ and 6 penalty points - this would affect my living) , the time and aggravation of having to switch to a black box policy which uses an app affecting my phone battery and signal.