PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you think OS people are happier than non-OS people?

Options

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry, I have to ask , what does OS mean?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Old Style as in 'like in the past' as much as you can in 2020.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I think its impossible to categorise people's happiness by the lifestyle they lead.
    There's going to be happy and miserable people everywhere.

I think the key is to find what makes YOU happy, and then live accordingly and not compare yourself to others. That includes wishing for things that you perceive other people have, or on the other hand, thinking your individual lifestyle is superior to others.  Just do your own think, and don't look over your shoulder at everyone else.

For myself, we have always lived fairly modestly on a day to day basis, so we can save money for travel and holidays, which we love. Now that we are retired, we find we can continue our travels, due to money saved during our working lives and careful use of our pensions.

I'm not one for make up, but I do like clothes and handbags. I buy during the sales and get the best quality that I can, so they last me for ages.  I buy second hand sometimes, mainly evening dresses for cruises.
    We seem to have found the right combination in our lives to make us happy - the holidays make us very happy, and we do it because we love it, and while we are still healthy to do it - it has nothing to do with what other people think of us, or us feeling like we've got to be like other people !

Things go in cycles. I normally read a book a week, but this year I'm only on my third book. I think this is due to getting a new iPad late last year, so I find myself more likely to play word games and jigsaws on the iPad, rather than picking up a book to read. We also got Netflix at the same time, so I'm watching more TV now, as well. But no doubt, my reading habits will re-assert themselves art a later date.

I can understand why the OP hasn't really felt like doing much recently, but, be kind to yourself, and one day I'm sure you'll find yourself doing some of your old activities again. 

Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PipneyJane there's nothing like a good-for-nothing ex-husband to make you appreciate a wonderful man when you find one, is there? Your ex has some parallels with mine - if there was a tenner in my purse, he'd swipe it to buy cigarettes. I got to the point of hiding money just so I could keep us fed (and I used to skip meals myself, which probably goes some way to explaining why I struggle to eat nowadays).
    I finally ditched the toerag, and the man I'm married to now couldn't be more different. He was rubbish with money when I met him, but he willingly let me "take him in hand" re his finances, and he now readily embraces the fact that I am debt-phobic, and we don't ever buy anything we haven't the money for.
    Life ain't a bed of roses - for one thing we both have life-altering illnesses, and are each others' sole carers, but we prop each other up as best we can; pootle along as we wish, and s*d what the neighbours think!
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure