IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tort for incorrect KADOE request?

Options

Comments

• pould
    pould Posts: 252 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,
    Smart Parking have submitted a defence. Since this is an open forum I don't want to share it here or discuss it here, but if any of the key regulars would like a copy on the basis of then discussing some of the items in it with me I would be more than happy to provide it.

Needless to say, they deny any liability....
  • pould
    Options
    Smart Parking have requested mediation, but I'm inclined to turn it down.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pould said:
    Why not put them through the same wringer PPCs ordinarily try to put their victims through?  PPCs hardly offer any 'give' in their demands at mediation, do likewise. The outcome of failed mediation has never influenced an actual court case - in my readings on the parking forums. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Here there would be some form of expectation of mediation by the court; you absolutely have some leeway in amount here, its not like an invoice for works undertaken at an agreed rate, etc. 
    Cant you redact the defence? Unless you dont want them to link to this thread - which if theyve got any sense they will have done!
  • pould
    Options
    Here there would be some form of expectation of mediation by the court; you absolutely have some leeway in amount here, its not like an invoice for works undertaken at an agreed rate, etc. 
    Cant you redact the defence? Unless you dont want them to link to this thread - which if theyve got any sense they will have done!
    I believe that there are things they have written in the defence which will come back to bite them and I don't want to discuss them in the open.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That would be very juicy to see then, for sure
    I, along with a few memebrs on here (C-M being the obvious)have a google group going - if you were to emai lme would you be ok with me sharingthis amongst the group? Its locked in terms of who sees it. 
    It might give you some additional ideas as well!
  • pould
    Options
    That would be very juicy to see then, for sure
    I, along with a few memebrs on here (C-M being the obvious)have a google group going - if you were to emai lme would you be ok with me sharingthis amongst the group? Its locked in terms of who sees it. 
    It might give you some additional ideas as well!
    Will send you a private message
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Following, good luck.
  • zhonguonuren
    zhonguonuren Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pould said:
    I’m a fan of mediation when I’m the claimant.  Firstly, SP must know you have a good case or would not have offered it.  The rules of mediation are that you must be prepared to compromise - ie they have to offer something.  You would have to be prepared to accept a bit less (a tenner - just kidding) but something reasonable.  For me it’s more important to win than receive the whole amount of the claim - and I am never 100% confident of winning a case in court anyway.  If mediation fails (mine did with Highview Parking) and you do have to remember the mediator wants you to settle (so don’t be put off and stand your ground), I went on to win.   It’s good practice and you get some more insight into the other side’s argument.   The court also appreciates you trying mediation. 
  • pould
    Options
    pould said:
    I’m a fan of mediation when I’m the claimant.  Firstly, SP must know you have a good case or would not have offered it.  The rules of mediation are that you must be prepared to compromise - ie they have to offer something.  You would have to be prepared to accept a bit less (a tenner - just kidding) but something reasonable.  For me it’s more important to win than receive the whole amount of the claim - and I am never 100% confident of winning a case in court anyway.  If mediation fails (mine did with Highview Parking) and you do have to remember the mediator wants you to settle (so don’t be put off and stand your ground), I went on to win.   It’s good practice and you get some more insight into the other side’s argument.   The court also appreciates you trying mediation. 
    The problem with mediation is that one has to discuss the issues which will mean I need to divulge at this point some of the argument in the Witness Statement and Skeleton. I guess what you're suggesting is, since they'll see it anyway, why not worry them at this point?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback