Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 22 November 2020 at 9:08AM
    Options
    Aceace said:
    I think I might have to check the thread daily, so annoyed I missed out on the Tipton Building society Regular saver!
    To put it in perspective, you've only missed out on fifty-odd quid profit for the price of tying up to £7k of capital up for over a year. 
    £50 for pretty much doing nothing!

£50 less what it could be earning in whatever other accounts people hold, for most people who have 1.2% Skipton Instant Access account or an account paying similar %, 1.35% regular saver was probably no big deal / hardly any gain for those who are moving £500 a month for so little % difference
    How long is that instant access going to remain at 1.2%? I was thinking of not renewing regular savers at 1% but even they are higher now than my highest instant access with Marcus. I'll always need some money on instant access, but regular savers spread out over the year mean I don't need as much. If I had that Skipton account I'd probably still open regular savers and put the minimum money in so I had somewhere to transfer the rest if it reduced. I had my Marcus account open with very little in it for months, now it's very useful.

I replied to this, merely giving an example as to 1.35% regular saver not being "£50 for pretty much doing nothing", being as £50 "profit" figure had been posted a few times

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think I might have to check the thread daily, so annoyed I missed out on the Tipton Building society Regular saver!
    I don't see how they would be able to tell exactly when the application form was completed and posted, as long as it arrives with them within the next few days...

It's not online anymore so cannot be downloaded
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • cricidmuslibale
    Options
    Ed-1 said:
    HSBC reg saver rate reduction to 1% confirmed:
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/savings/products/regular-saver
    The First Direct one still shows at 2.75% at time of posting but is surely heading the same way.
    This is very bad news indeed especially for anyone with HSBC Regular Savers that will be maturing within the next few days and weeks obviously! Apart from the Regular Saver (up to now) and the MySavings account for teenagers (still giving 2.5% AER at present) HSBC savings interest rates have generally been very low for a very long time! (Occasionally they bring out issues of fixed rate accounts with reasonable interest rates but these issues are often pulled very quickly!) Even in the 'good old days' when HSBC paid a reasonable rate of interest on their variable rate Online Saver (which later became Online Bonus Saver) there was always the nasty catch of no interest (later no bonus interest which was most of the interest) being paid in any month in which a withdrawal was made. I can only conclude that HSBC have never really valued their savers very much and they value them even less than that now!

P.S. I managed eventually with a lot of pushing last week to persuade my mother - who leaves far too much money in her (First Direct) current account and really doesn't see the importance of saving or investing at all - to open a regular saver with First Direct before it was too late! She assures me she did so last Thursday afternoon; I really do hope she has completed the application process in time and will get the 2.75% rate before it too is severely cut (if that happens today or pretty soon afterwards).
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    wiseonesomeofthetime Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 November 2020 at 9:53AM
    Options
    Ed-1 said:
    HSBC reg saver rate reduction to 1% confirmed:
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/savings/products/regular-saver
    The First Direct one still shows at 2.75% at time of posting but is surely heading the same way.
    Will not be renewing mine in January then.

It is still a fixed rate, for anyone saving "fresh" money. Maximum return just £16.25 though over the year. Not even the price of one Costa coffee a month.

Sad, but realistic in current climate. Not of any great surprise.

Another redundant current account. Will not be closing it though.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm probably one of the luckier ones - maturities M&S Feb, HSBC July, FD September. By October I expect to have empty TSB, M&S and FD current accounts (I use HSBC for a handful of RS SOs currently but will review it nearer the time).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback