New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

CHILD MAINTENANCE

27 replies 1.9K views
Hello all.
I pay my ex £330 per month child maintenance. I take home £1638 a month after tax yet she still has this perception that's it's not enough. That I should still pay for uniforms etc on top of that.
To me the £330 is for uniforms and stuff like that.
What are your thoughts?

Replies

• doraspenlowdoraspenlow Forumite
    33 posts
    10 Posts
    There is a calculator on the CMS website that you can use to work out what the government expects you to be contributing in maintenance. This will be based on your income and on the amount of nights your child(ren) spends with you, as well as other things. The calculation is based on your income pre-tax. 

It's up to you whether you pay more than that or not. Some people do, some don't. Don't forget that the cost of bringing up a child includes keeping a roof over their head, keeping them warm, feeding them etc. Not just the easily seen things like uniforms. 

If you choose to pay the minimum that the government calculates then she can't insist you pay more. You'll have to decide.
  • edited 16 February at 1:00PM
    BringvaluetomeBringvaluetome Forumite
    125 posts
    100 Posts
    edited 16 February at 1:00PM
    Doraspenlow - thanks for the response. I have used the calculator and that's how I arrived at £330.
    I totally understand what the payment is for. She works 20 hours a week, has universal credits, council tax reduction, 80% off childcare + me doing some school runs and watching them some days when she is at work. Also other benefits. 
    I feel I contribute enough. I was the one that was asked to leave yet even 6 months on I'm left to feel that i walked out on them.
    33 posts
    10 Posts
    I know it's difficult, but you have to try to separate the circumstances of your break up from ongoing maintenance and parenting issues. Also, it doesn't matter how much money she has or where she gets it from. If she was a millionaire you would still be expected to pay your share. If you are paying what's required then she can consider herself luckier than many parents with care, sadly. 
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's up to you whether you pay more than that or not. Some people do, some don't. Don't forget that the cost of bringing up a child includes keeping a roof over their head, keeping them warm, feeding them etc. Not just the easily seen things like uniforms. 

Don't forget that the parent without care also has to keep a roof over their head, feed themselves, keep warm and pay all expenses related to going to work.

• BringvaluetomeBringvaluetome Forumite
    125 posts
    100 Posts
    -Thank you Dora 
    -Mojisola - exactly! I need a chuck of my salary to live too. I am currently living with parents at the moment however things will get a lot tighter when I have my own place / in  a relationship etc.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    33 posts
    10 Posts
    Mojisola said:

Don't forget that the parent without care also has to keep a roof over their head, feed themselves, keep warm and pay all expenses related to going to work.

Yes, absolutely. That's why each parent without care has to make their own decisions once they have paid the minimum required. We all have different circumstances. I think as long as they are paying the minimum they can't really be criticised. 
  • BringvaluetomeBringvaluetome Forumite
    125 posts
    100 Posts
    So using the CMS calculator is the best way to work out the minimum payment required?
  • TooskintTooskint Forumite
    38 posts
    10 Posts
    If you are watching them some days ask to keep them overnight as that will be taken into account wth your payments you provide.  Maybe try to go down route of shared care where she has some days and you have other.  It is a difficult one wth cms as no set rules just for day to day care which could cover anything.  
  • edited 16 February at 3:19PM
    BringvaluetomeBringvaluetome Forumite
    125 posts
    100 Posts
    edited 16 February at 3:19PM
    I believe I have been over paying on child maintenance. On the calculator I put in gross income and actually it's total taxable income after pension contribution but before tax. So on a salary of £24,970 and taxable income of £11,221, it works out to be £177 per month due not £330. 
    It's totally my fault.
    Does this make sense to anyone?
    33 posts
    10 Posts
    I believe I have been over paying on child maintenance. On the calculator I put in gross income and actually it's total taxable income after pension contribution but before tax. So on a salary of £24,970 and taxable income of £11,221, it works out to be £177 per month due not £330. 
    It's totally my fault.
    Does this make sense to anyone?
    So you put £13700 into a pension each year?