Forum Home» Energy» Water Bills

Decrease in water charges.

New Post Advanced Search

Decrease in water charges.

2 replies 71 views
7torIwe77torIwe7 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Having seen Martins post re water charges dropping on average by 4% from 1st April, I checked my water bill from last year against the one just received for this year. The charge for fresh water has gone UP by about 5.5% and the charge for waste/surface water drainage has decreased by about 5%. HOWEVER Severn Trent has now introduced a totally new charge called a Fixed Charge of £5 for fresh water & another Fixed Charge of £5 for Highway drainage charge. So thats an extra £10 that we've never had to pay before. Talk about giving with one hand & taking away with the other!

Replies

• JoannaAnnaJoannaAnna Forumite
    12 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Martin (and the Water UK announcement) did say that the average water bill would decrease, but that some bills could increase a bit. Fixed charges are a staple of water bills. I'd be surprised if Severn Trent have never charged you for highways drainage before  - they've recently changed how they display fixed charges and have broken it down a bit more. You've probably always paid this charge but didn't have it displayed in this much detail on your bill before .
  • freeshafreesha Forumite
    143 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    STW have always charged for Highway Drainage. It's just never been itemised before in the bill - they are now required to do so by OFWAT, so it's now showing as a separate charge.