New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Alternative to Nationwide

26 replies 1.1K views
Hi all. 

We have an account at Lloyds and one at Nationwide.  Lloyds is easy to use - you want to do something like transfer money or make some changes and they ring you to make sure it's you.  Nationwide, however, insist that you use their card reader.  Sadly, I don't carry that with me everywhere I go and it makes internet banking a bit of a joke.  

So I'm looking to move from Nationwide but don't want to join a bank that uses a card reader or equivalent.  Can anyone recommend a good bank that doesn't use them please?

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• edited 15 February at 4:32PM
    RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15 February at 4:32PM
    I think that most banks will be introducing new security measures in the near future. Nationwide may move to SMS confirmations and Lloyds may change to a different secondary authorisation that you may dislike. There is a thread on this that you might find useful with details on the first post on the link below.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6021774/strong-customer-authentication-now-delayed-changes-to-online-verification/p1

• born_againborn_again Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hebrews12 said:
    Hi all. 

looking to move from Nationwide but don't want to join a bank that uses a card reader or equivalent.  Can anyone recommend a good bank that doesn't use them please?

Thanks for reading.
    Just what do you want out of the "GOOD BANK?
  • Hebrews12Hebrews12 Forumite
    54 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    Hebrews12 said:
    Hi all. 

looking to move from Nationwide but don't want to join a bank that uses a card reader or equivalent.  Can anyone recommend a good bank that doesn't use them please?

Thanks for reading.
    Just what do you want out of the "GOOD BANK?
    I guess I want to be able to do online banking from anywhere without having to carry an electronic card reader around with me everywhere I go.  I have a phone. They could use that right?
  • Nebulous2Nebulous2 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you use a smartphone? 
    I do a lot of my banking with Nationwide using the app on my phone. I can't remember the last time I used a card reader.
    54 posts
    Nebulous2 said:
    Do you use a smartphone? 
    I do a lot of my banking with Nationwide using the app on my phone. I can't remember the last time I used a card reader.
    I do but I don't really want to get the Nationwide app.  Day-to-day, they are fine. But as soon as you want to do something like change a standing order (which I wanted to do today for instance) it won't let me without the card reader whereas Lloyds just ring you and you put in a code that's on the screen.
  • afis1904afis1904 Forumite
    194 posts
    100 Posts
    What's wrong with just getting the app? Those are mostly the same with most banks.
  • Skippy13Skippy13 Forumite
    192 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    The app is fine it's the card reader that's a pain.  I don't like having to use it to set up new payees, standing orders etc.
  • DiamondLilDiamondLil Forumite
    277 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I bank with Nationwide and don't have the app on my phone; I log in via the browser on my laptop and can choose to use the card reader or have a code sent to my phone. I presume it'd be the same procedure if using a phone, not via the app but simply via your browser ?

54 posts
    I bank with Nationwide and don't have the app on my phone; I log in via the browser on my laptop and can choose to use the card reader or have a code sent to my phone. I presume it'd be the same procedure if using a phone, not via the app but simply via your browser ?

But there are certain things it won't let you do without the card reader.  The message I had today literally said that if you don't have the card reader to hand, you'll have to cancel what you're doing and do it another time.
  • TildaplumTildaplum Forumite
    248 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    With Nationwide you use the card reader to eg add a new payee - this is true on desktop or the app so moving to the app won't change anything...

First Direct allow you to use fingerprint to authorise. Monzo use debit card PIN.

Barclays (app) allow you to use debit card details to authorise - I find this a bit insecure for my taste.
    Natwest (I believe - it's been a while) text you a PIN