»

Savings section usage metrics

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Savings section usage metrics

28 replies 1.1K views
veryintriguedveryintrigued Forumite
3K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
Since the new forum it 'feels" as if there are less new threads and less discussion within the threads.

I'd be interested from any forumites / MSE itself if this is true.

Replies

• DescrabledDescrabled Forumite
    30 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    I only look at "Savings & Investments" now and SS2 thread on Regular savers. All else has now become too difficult. I hope the problems that SS2 has in updating this thread can be solved.
    I read the forum on a mobile, as I suspect many others also do, or sometimes a tablet and the new format does not sit well on a small screen.
    I know it is a marketing venture but taking a third of the screen with adverts for "email, blogs and tools" that have greater prominence than the threads makes it difficult. I hope the presentation improves. Difficult to add to threads at the moment.
    I used to look at many more sections of the forum but have reduced my use and now I am exploring other parts of tintferweb.
  • StompaStompa Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    colsten said:
    ....... the new format does not sit well on a small screen.......
    Or on a large screen. The new forum is undoubtedly a significant downgrade. Sad.  :s
    Agreed.
    Stompa
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since the new forum it 'feels" as if there are less new threads and less discussion within the threads.

I'd be interested from any forumites / MSE itself if this is true.
    The whole forum seems quieter, less questions being asked, less general chatting and the same posts are showing when refreshed.
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    13.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eskbanker said:
    I'm finding this aspect working quite well, or at least in a way consistent with how I interact with the forum!  I did a 'mark read' early on which, as you say, resets everything, and since then the purple 'new' tag highlights threads with posts I haven't read, and the automated suffixing of the #latest to the URL takes me straight there, so everything exactly how I'd want it.  The exception is threads last read before the changeover, but to me that's a transitional issue that'll subside over time.
    I guess what I am missing from the old forum is the automatic marking of threads read once your session expires based on the timestamp of your last action. Over here the purple 'new' tag persists on a thread until you read that thread or manually mark the forum read (which you cannot do from within the forum). A 'mark forum read' button within each forum would be very useful.
    eskbanker said:
    It's undoubtedly clunkier but viable to split like this response without editing in HTML.  I realised by accident that using the 'quote' button multiple times puts multiple copies into the editor, which can then be hacked about to your heart's content!
    This is a great tip, thanks!
  • ColdIronColdIron Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    masonic said:
    A 'mark forum read' button within each forum would be very useful.
    I might be missing something but Profile->Mark Category Viewed would seem to fit the bill

• masonicmasonic Forumite
    13.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ColdIron said:
    masonic said:
    A 'mark forum read' button within each forum would be very useful.
    I might be missing something but Profile->Mark Category Viewed would seem to fit the bill

Thanks, it didn't even occur to me to look there. I think I've learned enough in the last few posts in this and another thread to resolve all of the misgivings I mentioned above.