IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

IPC Member - had to fess up my ID as driver to spare in-laws - appeal again or just wait for court?

As title really...
Ticket received for parking for 6 minutes as a 'non-patron'(!) in my in-laws car, they got the NTK, they (I) appealed as keeper using template, it was bounced back.  Decided to fess up my ID as driver to move the crosshairs off of them.  Now I have a Notice to Driver - appeal or wait?

In other developments, I tried going back to the scene of the crime to complain to the (Coffee) retailer, the Asst Mgr there I spoke to denied any knowledge of the PPC, claiming they simply rented the land from the business next door.  I visited said next door business, and a gentlemen there was flabberghasted to see yet another complaint pushed his way when it is in fact the coffee retailer who has employed said PPC.  Joined him to go back to Coffee retailer, Asst Mgr still denied all knowledge despite claiming having worked there over a year, and then gave me contact details for Mgr.

I have yet to re-visit to attempt to speak with the Mgr - should I bother, and if so what kind of stance should I take with him/her??  Any advice appreciated, thanks all.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    deffo take it up with those people and complain LOUDLY and vociferously
    appeal as DRIVER at the last minute only, so a day or two before the appeal deadline
    the landowner complaint and cancellation is always step one in these matters, plus the best option, court is a last resort
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 February 2020 at 8:53AM
    The course of many a successful landowner complaint often does not run smooth at first.  Definitely email the manager but if it's a chain, also email the CEO.  The stance is, as Redx has indicated, indignant and very assertive.  Keep it polite, but, for heaven's sake - 6 minutes!    

Banish all 'is it worth it? Will they ignore me?' type thoughts from your head - you're on this!  Was there a long wait in a queue by any chance?

Also, very nice of you to be so considerate to parents-in-law.  But can't help noticing that more and more people are outing drivers because of others' irrational parking charge panic.  Time we all stood up to the PPCs.   
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Whether this gets to court or not depends very much on which Parking Company you're dealing with. Not sure why you didn't tell us that one important information at the outset. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,503 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • BrownTrout
    BrownTrout Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    which parking firm?
  • Tonofun
    Tonofun Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Apologies all - the PPC is "National Parking Enforcement Ltd".
    I'll try and speak to the retail Mgr this week.  I have until Sunday to do the online appeal crap again.  Do I monkey with the Newbies template, or is there already a 'Notice to Driver' template somewhere I've not seen yet?
  • Tonofun
    edited 17 June 2020 at 10:41PM
    Ok then, so just attempted to appeal the 'Notice to Driver' I received as directed on the reverse of the letter - put the PCN reference and the vehicle reg in and clicked submit, and I get met with the following:
    "Sorry, there has already been a previous appeal for this PCN." - https://i.imgur.com/EWTaCB8.png

Anyone faced this situation previously?

I was thinking about using the "Contact" page on their site to send them the following message:

"Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am attempting to appeal ref as I recently received by post a 'Notice to Driver' letter - however when I submit the PCN reference number and vehicle registration details on the website (https://parkingprotection.zatappeal.com/) as directed on the reverse of the letter, it returns the message:
    "Sorry, there has already been a previous appeal for this PCN."
    I have not appealed previously - how on earth am I supposed to leverage my right to appeal faced with this?
    Thanks."

• BrownTrout
    Email them then.
  • BrownTrout
    office@parkingprotection.co.uk
  • Tonofun
    E-mailing the appeal.
    Doctored the template to the following (to remove refs to 'keeper')

I dispute your 'parking charge'. I deny any liability or contractual agreement and I will be making a complaint about your predatory conduct to your client landowner.

Since your PCN is a vague template, I require an explanation of the allegation and your evidence.  You must include a close up actual photograph of the sign you contend was at the location on the material date as well as your images of the vehicle.

If the allegation concerns a PDT machine, the data supplied in response to this appeal must include the record of payments made - showing partial VRNs - and an explanation of the reason for the PCN, because your Notice does not explain it.

If the allegation involves an alleged overstay of minutes, your evidence must include the actual grace period agreed by the landowner.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback