Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

How old is your current home? - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

How old is your current home?

48 replies 1.3K views
1235»

Replies

• Waterlily24Waterlily24 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    1930s but a lot was pulled down for the extension about 10 years ago.
  • pinkteapotpinkteapot Forumite
    7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    1930s but a lot was pulled down for the extension about 10 years ago.
    Theseus' Ship, Trigger's broom, Waterlily24's house... 
  • edited 13 February at 1:39PM
    DebtDebt Forumite
    11 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 13 February at 1:39PM

My house was built in 1874.

In 1939 there was a guy named Hubert Griffiths living there. He worked in a flour mill and his daughter was disabled.  - The things you find out hey... Incredible!

• eidandeidand Forumite
    240 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    1970 for mine.
  • MCIMCI Forumite
    31 posts
    10 Posts
    Debt said:

My house was built in 1874.

In 1939 there was a guy named Hubert Griffiths living there. He worked in a flour mill and his daughter was disabled.  - The things you find out hey... Incredible!

We found out from the paperwork detailing the neighbouring cottage's right of access for bins around a little path on ours, that the people who lived in the cottages at the time were called Mr Pout and Mr Gammon! Very funny to us. 

The house we've just bought is from 1910, or perhaps a bit earlier. The flat we're still renting for another month or two is from the 1980s, it's ex-council.
  • edited 14 February at 9:44PM
    GaleSF63GaleSF63 Forumite
    475 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 14 February at 9:44PM
    But its good to know that something has come out of the new forum...the loss of the min 10 character answer.
    But I can only get 10 comments a page now. Am I stuck with that or can I change it? It's annoying. 
  • CakegutsCakeguts Forumite
    7.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    1925 Sort of mixture between tudorbethan and arts and crafts.  It had a kitchen, scullery, larder and morning room when built. It now just has a large kitchen.