Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

How old is your current home? - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

How old is your current home?

48 replies 1.3K views

Replies

• MorecatMorecat Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Our bungalow was built in 1957
  • HRH_MUngoHRH_MUngo Forumite
    771 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    cattie said:
    Mine was built mid 60's. Lots of space & storage & lovely big windows as a lot of '60's properties are.
    My son's flat is like that.  Lovely big rooms and windows, storage  AND  a garage, much more space than modern flats.  Of course he has had to do all the insulation himself  :)
    I used to be seven-day-weekend
  • edited 12 February at 8:45PM
    markinmarkin Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 12 February at 8:45PM
    Its ancient, built 1958.

• xylophonexylophone Forumite
    34.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    66 years old.
    The father of the previous owner was a builder - he bought the land and constructed the house as a wedding gift to his daughter.  
  • hunniehunnie Forumite
    195 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Built in 1961
  • Paddy79Paddy79 Forumite
    19 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    1995, although I still refer to it as the "new estate at the bottom of Church Road" as the nineties was only 5 years ago, right?!  ;)
  • edited 12 February at 9:44PM
    amandacatamandacat Forumite
    216 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 12 February at 9:44PM
    17 years old. I like that it’s warm, not damp and well insulated. I don’t like that it’s part of the era of building houses way too small although mine is much bigger than others I’ve see built at a similar time.
    I grew up in a Victoria house with two large reception rooms and big bedrooms but all I remember is the damp, drafty windows and lack of central heating. 
  • BonniepurpleBonniepurple Forumite
    184 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    1965, give or take a year either side.  Same as my parents (1966) and in laws  (mid sixties).  Nice big rooms, loads of parking, not too crammed.  Currently only one bathroom/toilet, but we are putting another in.
    Previous houses were 1985, 1985ish, 1995, 1850s ish (last 3 were rentals so I don’t know exact ages).
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sleazy said:
    I'm not sure, but there's some nice paintings on the stone walls that have been here ages.
    Bit draughty in the winter,  but cool in the summer ....
    And there was me thinking I owned an original!
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge