» »

Transferring from a topped up ISA question

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Transferring from a topped up ISA question

2 replies 62 views
BarJK7BarJK7 Forumite
7 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi,
I have had an existing cash ISA account (NS&I) for quite some time that already had a balance (pre this tax year) and then I added this year's full allowance as well.  
Now I have read about transfers of ISAs from various sources but unfortunately I am still confused. 
Do I have to either transfer all of this years' allowance over* (if I want to open a stocks and shares ISA), or does the fact that I had an existing balance from a previous tax year's allowance mean that I can transfer a smaller amount to open up a stocks and shares ISA and maybe also an Innovative Investment one (leaving most in my cash ISA intact)?
Alternatively, do I need to wait until April 6th when presumably I can transfer whatever proportion I want to other ISA account types?
If that* is the case then to slightly complicate matters I am thinking of switching cash ISAs as mine currently has a low 0.8% rate. 
Thanks in advance

Replies

• edited 9 February at 4:39PM
    masonicmasonic Forumite
    13.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 February at 4:39PM
    You can transfer the full £20k you added this tax year to either a S&S ISA or IF ISA. Alternatively, you can transfer any part of the money paid in during previous tax years to a S&S ISA and/or IF ISA (while leaving this year's £20k with NS&I). As well as transferring some previous year money other ISAs, you can transfer the full £20k from this tax year to another cash ISA.
    After 5th April, you can transfer any part of the £20k as it will be treated as previous year money.
    I'm presuming your NS&I cash ISA is not flexible (their Direct ISA isn't).
  • BarJK7BarJK7 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks Masonic, yes it's an inflexible Direct ISA. You have reassured me that I can do what I am looking to :)