Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» MoneySaving Dads

Should my wife and I spend all our savings? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Should my wife and I spend all our savings?

49 replies 6.1K views

Replies

• tooldletooldle Forumite
    429 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You have said that both you and your wife have never claimed any benefits and have watched others taking money from the system. Are you absolutely certain that you have both been net contributors for all of your working life? Many people are receiving tax payer support, despite not claiming benefits. To give an example, state education for one child is around £6k per year. Health centres, hospitals, appointments have a cost, local council services, police etc. I believe it is something in the region of eight out of every ten of the population that do not cover their own costs.

• elsienelsien Forumite
    23.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet the OP claimed child benefit. The clue is in the name.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I took over the care of an elderly recently and I must say the benefits system does seem a bit strange. One of them had been to the citizens advice bureau 20 years previously and they had told them what to put on their disability claim. So they had received 20 years of payments for arthritis. When I checked out disability payments they are to 'help with the costs of disability'. There were no extra costs. Not a penny. They lived with someone who was on attendance allowance. This was to help with costs of caring. Nobody was paid for caring. The only possible carer was the disabled person. Both payments were non means tested.
    On the disability part of this forum was a thread on what people spent disability payments on. Grandchildren, first class air tickets, christmas presents etc. When I said I thought the payments were to be spent on the costs of being disabled I was told that was wrong. Disabled people should just get more money.
    I met someone who worked for motability. She was telling me that other europeans were bringing disabled people across to the UK so they could claim for a motability car for the family to use. They couldn't believe that the UK handed out free cars. I was amazed to discover not only do they give out free brand new cars every three years on a 'just add fuel' scheme but they get £600 every time they return their car.
    I think taxpayer's money should be more carefully looked after. The whole benefits system needs revamping. A reimbursement scheme would make sense to me. You need a wheelchair? OK buy one and send us the bill.
  • edited 23 February at 12:24PM
    NeilCrNeilCr Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February at 12:24PM

fred246 said:t
    I took over the care of an elderly recently and I must say the benefits system does seem a bit strange. One of them had been to the citizens advice bureau 20 years previously and they had told them what to put on their disability claim. So they had received 20 years of payments for arthritis. When I checked out disability payments they are to 'help with the costs of disability'. There were no extra costs. Not a penny. They lived with someone who was on attendance allowance. This was to help with costs of caring. Nobody was paid for caring. The only possible carer was the disabled person. Both payments were non means tested.
    On the disability part of this forum was a thread on what people spent disability payments on. Grandchildren, first class air tickets, christmas presents etc. When I said I thought the payments were to be spent on the costs of being disabled I was told that was wrong. Disabled people should just get more money.
    I met someone who worked for motability. She was telling me that other europeans were bringing disabled people across to the UK so they could claim for a motability car for the family to use. They couldn't believe that the UK handed out free cars. I was amazed to discover not only do they give out free brand new cars every three years on a 'just add fuel' scheme but they get £600 every time they return their car.
    I think taxpayer's money should be more carefully looked after. The whole benefits system needs revamping. A reimbursement scheme would make sense to me. You need a wheelchair? OK buy one and send us the bill.
    Citizens Advice tell people to tell the truth on benefit claims forms

To claim PIP (which is the benefit that enables you to get a Motability car) you have had to live in the UK for at least two years so you might want to take what you were told by the person who works for Motability with a pinch of salt. You, also, have to go through a medical and a flawed system

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/check-you-are-eligible/

Motability cars are not free. 

• hb2hb2 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    @NeilCr Thank you, you put that much better than I would have!
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Lover_of_LycraLover_of_Lycra Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do claim benefits gunnerpete, the state pension is a benefit, yeah yeah you've paid into it your whole life but it is still defined as a benefit by the legislation that introduced and no doubt by the time I come to retire it will be means tested.  Then there's your winter fuel payment that you get for no other reason other than you're old.

What exactly have you been saving for and forgoing holidays most of your adult like if not to make your retirement a bit nicer?  You can't take it with you when you go and I for one intend to die penniless.
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone who worked for the average wage (currently £26K?) for 40 years will have only paid enough NI to cover the first 8 or so years of the State pension.  At 77 years, OP and his wife are both well into the 'beneficiary' side of the equation.  
  • comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I read your post OP, it puts me in mind of my parents and childhood.  They had lots of money saved but to get to that savings pot it was us children who had to do without.  I honestly thought our parents had no money, nothing being spent on any sort of enjoyment and us children knowing never to ask for anything like school trips or sweets or toys.  Maybe if your children have had to forgo what other children took for granted then some should be spent on them.
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

Citizens Advice tell people to tell the truth on benefit claims forms
    Citizens Advice was obviously handing out claims forms to people. When the citizen asked for advice on how to fill it in she was obviously told. If someone asks "How do I get benefits?" then you need to give them a form and tell them what answers are needed to receive the benefit.
  • edited 25 February at 9:55AM
    fred246fred246 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February at 9:55AM
    NeilCr said:

fred246 said:t
    To claim PIP (which is the benefit that enables you to get a Motability car) you have had to live in the UK for at least two years so you might want to take what you were told by the person who works for Motability with a pinch of salt. You, also, have to go through a medical and a flawed system

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/check-you-are-eligible/

Motability cars are not free. 

I was just asking a lady who told me she worked for motability about her job. We were part of the EU and people could travel anywhere within it. She mentioned that there were a lot driving round Warsaw. It seems you even get free European Cover.
    https://www.motability.co.uk/your-lease/car/taking-your-car-abroad/
    I didn't get a chance to ask her exactly the procedure followed but she said families were claiming them and then driving them there and then using them regularly as everyday transport. Not sure whether all the rules were followed or not but no reason to suspect she wasn't telling the truth.