Getting the job done......

Options

Comments

• DiamondLil
    DiamondLil Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe contact a couple of mortgage advisers ?  The well-known building society may not be the best people to ask. Don't know how much they'd cost you though. A leak needs sorting asap, but if it's maneagable (not taking long baths) and not causing structural damage can you wait another year when you'll be in a much stronger position ?
  • Timpanum
    Timpanum Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kitten868 said:
    I would pay off the debts and get the better mortgage.
    What is it you want to do in the bathroom? New tiles or new everything? It's cheaper to keep things where they are. You might be able to freshen things up enough by retiling yourself and getting someone in to sort the bath leak. It's hard to say without seeing it. It could be aubergine. But tiling is ok. You can learn from YouTube. 
    Keep going xxx
    Thanks so much commenting Kitten868, I'm coming round to thinking that that is the best way forward too. The thing that's swinging it is the reduction in term - I don't want to still be paying for a mortgage at 70!!
    Appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts!
    Timps 
    Ps Aubergine bath? knock the whole house down and start again!!
    CAR LOANS:
    £5,000/£5,400 0% cleared - Credit Card at 0%:T
    £8,875/£0 100% cleared on 10-03-2020
    MORTGAGE:
    £96,000/£68,654 28.48% cleared MFD: 05/2042

March Grocery Challenge £100 - £190.61 spent so far - Covid19 prep!!
  • Timpanum
    Options
    Maybe contact a couple of mortgage advisers ?  The well-known building society may not be the best people to ask. Don't know how much they'd cost you though. A leak needs sorting asap, but if it's maneagable (not taking long baths) and not causing structural damage can you wait another year when you'll be in a much stronger position ?
    Hi DiamondLil,
    Thanks for taking the time to comment - appreciate your insights. 
    Yes, certainly I will ship around for the best deal and I tend to agree that the smaller building societies can offer better deals and value your custom more. In some cases anyway.
    Re bathroom, the bath is a jacuzzi bath and it's the jacuzzi bit that's leaking - water drains from the bath through the jacuzzi bit (which I never use because it's too noisy! Whoever fitted the bathroom made it look nice but it's totally unsuitable if there's ever a problem as everything is encased so fixing this leak requires pulling the entire bath out to get to the issue.
    Grrrrr!!!
    Timps

CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

• Pollie
    Pollie Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it feasible to just replace the bath with an ordinary, non jacuzzi, bath?
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

No idea on what best way to tackle the mortgage,  but wanted to say hi.  🙋‍♀️ 

Naomim x
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Timpanum
    Options
    Naomim said:
    Hi,

No idea on what best way to tackle the mortgage,  but wanted to say hi.  🙋‍♀️ 

Naomim x
    Hi Naomim, thanks for that. Lovely to have you along!! 
    Timps
    CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

• Timpanum
    edited 12 March 2020 at 4:06PM
    Options
    Pollie said:
    Is it feasible to just replace the bath with an ordinary, non jacuzzi, bath?
    Absolutely Pollie and that's exactly what I'd do. The Jacuzzi, although nice in principle, is too loud to relax, spoils my music, and cools the bath down too quickly. 
    A nice big ordinary bath will do nicely. 
    Timps 
    CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

• Timpanum
    Options
    Morning all,
    Well what a busy weekend I had planned which all turned to disaster because of C19 and it's far reaching consequences. Ironically though, it saved me loads of money  as I didn't have to travel to Manchester 3 times (80 mile round trip) or spend any money on drinks at the events I was due to attend!
    In other news, my shower is now leaking so I have no water at present and the plumber is coming tomorrow. I have used my gym membership to full effect by showering there instead!! Not sure how much the plumber's bill is going to be - hope he's in a kind mood!!
    I'm not self-isolating on purpose but haven't really been anywhere for 3 days so I've hardly spent anything either. Woman in the supermarket was very rude when I picked the last bottle of handwash off the shelf. Told her she should have got up earlier - I was very mad!
    I'm seriously worried about my business - being self employed, if the Govt lock everyone down, I shall be earning a big fat £0 for many weeks to come. Trying not to get too worked up about this, But it is concerning.

In financial news, I decided to pay off my car finance in full with some savings so my debt has fallen  dramatically. Probably not a good move in the current climate but I still have savings and it's done now so no point mooing over it. Feels good to have it gone actually. And it'll save me £450 in interest over the next 18 months. I'm now £220/month richer - which I'll use to build up the savings again.

Hope you are all keeping yourselves safe,
    Timps
    CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

• Timpanum
    Options
    Currently reevaluatiing the £100 grocery budget for March. Thinking that if I do end up having to stay home, I'll need easy meal staples like rice, lentils, cous cous etc. This might meam straying over the budget. 
    Not panic buying at all - that's daft, and socially irresponsible but preparation is also important.
    Timps 
    CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

• Timpanum
    Options
    Well what a couple of days I've just had. Covid19 is seriously starting to bite now as yesterday I effectively lost my job for the foreseeable future. I'm self employed and because of the lockdown on gatherings I can no longer fulfil my role for the time being. However all is not lost and I will still have some income coming in but it will only be 50% of what I normally get. But since there's nothing in the shops to buy with the money it isn't an issue!!
    I'm all stocked up with enough food for at least 3 weeks so I will be fine.

In financial news:
    Paid off the everyday credit card so that is now at £0. I cleared off the car loan finance and that is temporarily sitting on my credit card waiting to be cleared along with the CC debt. THen I will have £0 debt apart from the mortgage. It feels great to have sorted this out once and for all - the first time I have been debt free (mortgage aside) for as long as I can remember. Although if I cant earn I may not stay debt free for long!! But I still have savings and I am resourceful so I'm going to be fine.

Timps
    CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure