Getting the job done......

Options
Timpanum
Timpanum Posts: 51 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 6 February 2020 at 1:21PM in Debt free diaries
Hello everyone:wave:

I meant to start posting that the beginning of 2020 - a new decade and all that but here we are and it's February already.

A little about me....

I'm a 48 year old chap and live on my own in the North West of England. I have my own house and generally I'm doing OK but recently, my age has been weighing heavily on me and I'm realising that I need to make some changes to secure my financial future and before I turn 50....

I am desperate to change my situation. For too long now I have been dithering about, unhappy and suffering from a massive amount of inertia to actually change my life for the better. I know what I want to do, but just seem to lack the motivation to do it.

The first stage for me is to clear my debts. I have been working very hard on these for what seems like years - because it has been years!!!

I had a fantastic boost last year when I finally got round to doing my PPI claim and was amazed to received £12,000 back :j:j- and to think I nearly didn't claim because I assumed I wouldn't have any! This has galvanised me to keep going and to finally "Get the job done!"

I am currently unhappy in my job - I'm self employed but it is holding no challenge for me anymore after 10 years. The lifestyle is OK - I have flexibility over when I work but I can't shake off the "always working" feeling you get from working from home. I want a new challenge and a job that I can leave behind when I finish my shift. More on this later.

So 2020 is going to be my year I feel. I've got to get more positivity from somewhere and this forum has helped me in the past, so I'm back.

Looking forward to sharing my journey with you all and to check in and see how you're all doing too.

Kettle is always on at Timpanum Towers - please call in for a brew:coffee::coffee:

Timps xx:beer:
CAR LOANS:
£5,000/£5,400 0% cleared - Credit Card at 0%:T
£8,875/£0 100% cleared on 10-03-2020
MORTGAGE:
£96,000/£68,654 28.48% cleared MFD: 05/2042

March Grocery Challenge £100 - £190.61 spent so far - Covid19 prep!!

Comments

• Timpanum
    Options
    Hello, me again.....

As Goal #1 is to clear my immediate debt, recently I have been applying the following payments to it.

Credit Card portion of my car finance...
    I pay off the minimum payment each month which is 1% of the balance plus £100, so it's roughly about £120 per month.
    Financed portion of my car finance:
    I pay £220 a month off this - non-negotiable!!

Once the credit card portion is cleared, I'll snowball over to the financed bit as I can overpay on this.

I have a little scheme going with myself that every time I think I might want to buy something stupid - like a takeaway (which doesn't help with my Jean-Claude Van Damme lookalike goal!!) I make a proper meal and transfer the money I would have spent on the takeaway over to the credit card. It's really helping get the debt down!

Happy times!

Timps;)
    CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

• pink68
    pink68 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome to the diaries Timps. I'm a similar age and have similar issues, I look forward to seeing how you get on!
    Credit Card debt £10247.17 1/1/2020
  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Timpanum said:
    Hello everyone:wave:

I meant to start posting that the beginning of 2020 - a new decade and all that but here we are and it's February already.

A little about me....

I'm a 48 year old chap and live on my own in the North West of England. I have my own house and generally I'm doing OK but recently, my age has been weighing heavily on me and I'm realising that I need to make some changes to secure my financial future and before I turn 50....

I am desperate to change my situation. For too long now I have been dithering about, unhappy and suffering from a massive amount of inertia to actually change my life for the better. I know what I want to do, but just seem to lack the motivation to do it.

The first stage for me is to clear my debts. I have been working very hard on these for what seems like years - because it has been years!!!

I had a fantastic boost last year when I finally got round to doing my PPI claim and was amazed to received £12,000 back :j:j- and to think I nearly didn't claim because I assumed I wouldn't have any! This has galvanised me to keep going and to finally "Get the job done!"

I am currently unhappy in my job - I'm self employed but it is holding no challenge for me anymore after 10 years. The lifestyle is OK - I have flexibility over when I work but I can't shake off the "always working" feeling you get from working from home. I want a new challenge and a job that I can leave behind when I finish my shift. More on this later.

So 2020 is going to be my year I feel. I've got to get more positivity from somewhere and this forum has helped me in the past, so I'm back.

Looking forward to sharing my journey with you all and to check in and see how you're all doing too.

Kettle is always on at Timpanum Towers - please call in for a brew:coffee::coffee:

Timps xx:beer:
    Hey Timps

Just wanted to wish you the very best of luck on your journey. Well done for wanting to drive change, that's the hardest thing to do. Looking forward to following your journey
  • Timpanum
    Options
    pink68 said:
    Welcome to the diaries Timps. I'm a similar age and have similar issues, I look forward to seeing how you get on!
    Thanks for stopping by Pink68. Be great to have to alongside!
    CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

• Timpanum
    Options
    Thanks for the support FootyFanDan. 
    Timps
    CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

• Timpanum
    Options
    Afternoon,
    I'm back up to speed with my YNAB which has kept me sane and relatively in control for nearly 4 years now. I just find it so useful for budgetting for the longer term expenses so that for example when my car insurance fell due in January, I was able to just pay it out of that category, and found I'd over budgeted by about £70! I just love YNAB! Worth every penny of the £34 it costs per year in my humble opinion.

I must get around to doing my statement of affairs as that seems to be the done thing when starting a new diary. I don't spend a lot on unnecessaries but I do love my gym and spend quite a bit on this and on a personal trainer, but this is my R&R, and vital for my health as I had to have a new hip aged 44 (4 years ago) (long story!) and I'm working on building my physique because:
    a) don't put as much strain on my crumbling skeleton!
    b) it makes me feel amazing and full of beans
    c) it wards off my depression which I get from time to time
    d) It's what I like to do instead of drinking and clubbing my money away.
    Went to bookers today and bulk bought coffee beans, black pepper and smoked paprika! (Weird boy I hear you cry!).
    I always buy tonnes of stuff when it's on offer and I actually have a larder. Who else has a larder in 2020?? Ha ha!
    I currently own 27 cans of own brand baked beans, 43 cartons of passata and more mushy peas than I could eat in a month.
    All bought at 4 cans for £1. 
    I'm SO supermarket.com
    Happy Friday
    Timps
    Forgive the ramblings - I promise I'm not drunk!!
    CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I am another who has a larder!  I had a new kitchen installed last year and it was built around the larder cupboard!  It just holds so much stuff - it's amazing!  It also means I have wall space now as I have no for wall cupboards just base units, which I chose to have drawers rather than doors.  I've been really pleased and don't regret spending the money on it (it was saved for not on finance).

• Timpanum
    Options
    Thanks Joedenise - I don't feel like such a wally now!! Your larder sounds amazing.
    Timps
    CAR LOANS:
    MORTGAGE:

• db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    best of luck and subb'ed (or bookmarked on this new forum software lol).
    SOA would be good, and you may see people add in notes that you may not have thought of yourself.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Best of luck with making the changes you want to.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills