New Post Advanced Search

Corroded water pipe needs replacing - advice pls

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
13 replies 338 views
Dannii75Dannii75 Forumite
105 posts
Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
A leak has been fixed by Bristol Water but they also said the pipe within my boundary is corroded, especially the underside, & needs replacing.
It's not covered on home insurance because it's wear & tear, not accidental.
At the moment, the pipe isn't leaking but I'm thinking it's better I fix it before a leak happens!
I have no idea where to start, I don't know any plumbers & am petrified about how much it's going to cost me!
Any advice welcome.

Replies

• SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a new mains pipe installed 9 years ago using a hydraulic mole, so no trench dug. As a rough guide I was quoted £30 per metre of pipe laid and £150 for the new entry point.
  • Dannii75Dannii75 Forumite
    105 posts
    Swipe wrote: »
    I had a new mains pipe installed 9 years ago using a hydraulic mole, so no trench dug. As a rough guide I was quoted £30 per metre of pipe laid and £150 for the new entry point.

Wow! that's a LOT more reasonable than I was thinking!
    You've just brought me down off the ceiling.... a bit!
    Thanks!
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dannii75 wrote: »
    Wow! that's a LOT more reasonable than I was thinking!
    You've just brought me down off the ceiling.... a bit!
    Thanks!

Well my pipe was 40m+ long ( i have a long drive) so it did cost me just shy of £1500
    105 posts
    Well my pipe was 40m+ long ( i have a long drive) so it did cost me just shy of £1500

Even that was less than the thousands whizzing around my mind... as well as the JCBs digging up my concrete floors!
    My driveway is all of 3m. I just hope they don't have to go under the house - concrete floors! eek!
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are not allowed to go under the house. They will need to go around the house if the entry point is at the back.
    105 posts
    They are not allowed to go under the house. They will need to go around the house if the entry point is at the back.

What?!?! I had no idea! I was thinking my carpets would have to come up, the a trench through the house....
    you really are very helpful! thanks! Next time I hit the ceiling I'll pick up the bat phone to you! :)
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they use a hydraulic mole (that tunnels under the ground pulling the pipe) there will be no need for trenches, maybe a few holes every 12 feet or so.
    105 posts
    If they use a hydraulic mole (that tunnels under the ground pulling the pipe) there will be no need for trenches, maybe a few holes every 12 feet or so.

Excellent! music to my ears!
    Thank you! :beer:
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

if there is a existing duct under the house for the old pipe then can use that, even new builds have pipework under houses still.
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    deanos wrote: »
    if there is a existing duct under the house for the old pipe then can use that, even new builds have pipework under houses still.

To clarify what I meant, they are not allowed to mole under the house. I was specifically told this when I requested they send the mole under my garage.