Facing reality

Options

Comments

• SadieO
    SadieO Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 19 February 2020 at 12:30PM
    Options

Taking that assumption of pizza, probably not the healthiest idea for the freezer items but it does make you think of how many frozen pizzas you could of got with what the take away pizza costs. I mean even if it was a premium frozen/fresh pizza/s bought in store.
    maybe buying premium frozen foods as treats may help you cut back with it also being a reward! This of course comes down too the individual and perspective as well as out side pressures.

anyways thought I would throw a curve ball. 
    Just chiming in to agree with this. I read a saving tip once that said "buy whatever you want from the supermarket. It will always be cheaper than getting a takeaway or eating out". I am not sure I quite agree with buying *whatever*  :o but the sentiment is basically floorspeed's point. A piece of steak, a Chinese ready meal or a fancier pizza for £5 might seem like an extravagance in the supermarket, but if it is going to stop you from spending three times that on a takeaway or going to the pub for your tea then it's worth giving some thought to. Of course, the MSE way is to stock the freezer with a few of these nice things when they are on offer or yellow stickered! Then you always have something easy and treat-like to hand when you've had a rough day and would otherwise be tempted. 
  • Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just popping in to agree with SadieO.  You can get rather nice pizza's from Aldi from about 80p.  Always good to keep a little stock of them in the freezer for those days when you just can't face cooking. Then when you are looking at the pizza menu you can think about them, the fact they will be quicker than delivery, and save you about £19, and you may well decide not to order!

Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Really liking YNAB so far, makes it much easier then my epic spreadsheets did. Will see how get on during this trial period with it. 
    Spends today were £5.98 from cash for a few bits in L shop. Needed more milk, low cal spray and squash. Got about £30 left in my budget to last until the end of the month. It's doable as still have a few meals in freezer it will be lunches for next week and no doubt more bread and milk. Going to try use this weekend to Declutter a bit more. I need to go into bank about my refund from food delivery app as they are saying they have sent it. Will try going to C shop to trade in some electronics/phone as they seem to be best place around for it. That will hopefully give me a bit more towards the funds for the next few months. April isn't looking that much quieter and I need to at some point fit in a visit to Germany to visit by brother and his family. Luckily I still have loads euros left over so won't need much spending money and be good if he can get my free or cheap accommodation. Then it's just flights which are less then £100. Only good thing is that once we get to May things will quieten down in terms of spends as no football or birthdays until August. Phew. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Quiet weekend for me, had my massage today which has helped so much, hadn't realised how bad i had let it get. Rebooked again for April and adjusted my budget to include one about every 8 weeks. Did a mini shop on my way home as needed bread, eggs and fruit and veg, so £13 spent in Tesco. Did some financial sorting out today, chased my takeaway refund, they are going to send it again for me so hopefully be in my account in next few days. Phoned my mobile company about my contract and they have reduced it down for me, waiting for confirmation of exact amount but they given me a discount until sept when my contract ends and then I will go onto sim only. Did a small payment on rbs credit card to bring it to a round £1900. Almost at £5 on prolific so waiting for another survey to come up on that. Went out for dinner tonight to Nando's where used my orange reward so only paid for sides and drink all from my spends. Have about £4 left so no pub for me before football on Tuesday but that's probably a good thing as had a lot of eating out this week. Should still have about £60 left at end of month to pay towards credit card. Fingers crossed. Next months budget is set along with all the activities I have planned socially. Just have to stick to it. 🙈
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Where has this week gone? Monday was a no spend day for me. Yesterday was football so train fare and one drink in the bar, which came from cash I had. Need to get petrol today but I still have more than enough in the funds for that so not too worried. I also got a few bits of shopping to tide me over to the weekend when it's payday and my new budget starts again. Yay. I decided in the end to cancel one of my away games for football, so saved £30 on a ticket, £20 on petrol and then probably another £10 I would have spent on the day. It also means I have a free weekend in march to get myself sorted before my brothers wedding. I'm moving into theirs for a week at end of march to babysit my nephew whilst they are on honeymoon so that should be a relatively cheap week as they will provide food for the week and no social stuff in evenings for me that week. March budget is looking a bit tight though. Only good thing is some of it I have paid for already so came out of febs budget. I really need to do a proper food shop, but making do with what i have until payday on Friday. Then on Saturday me and my housemate will to shopping so at least we will split the cost on the big shop for the month. Then will do little ones in between for fresh stuff. I need to try rework my budget so that my housemates rent is going towards CC payments. That way when she moves out later in the year I know I will be able to manage on just my wage but it means that CC payments would slow down. I don't think I want to go down the route of another housemate. But I may not get much choice in the matter. Have to wait and see. I did wonder about a 2nd evening job instead. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• Sarahwithlove
    Options
    £30 in petrol today and £3 on a meal deal from cash in my purse. Can't think of anything I will need to buy tomorrow but this is me. Need to sort my packed lunch for work tomorrow so I'm not tempted to buy lunch on the go. Friday can't come soon enough for me. Its payday hooray but also have football and start of the weekend. Feeling so tired at the moment, it makes motivation for anything hard let alone being good and frugal 🙈
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback