Facing reality

Options

Comments

• Sarahwithlove
    Sarahwithlove Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We well done on clearing the credit card and if your dad is happy with the repayment plan then focusing on building up savings pots and EF is the right way to go. I prefer to leave our council tax over 10 months and February and March the money goes into savings pots. My car insurance is due February so usually the money allocated to council tax more than covers that  and there are lots of birthdays in March so again it is like a bit of a bonus that the council tax money is there to boost the pots. 
    Yes he still has another year to go before he gets his state pension and finds his occ pen and my £100 is enough for him to live on for the day to day stuff so limits how much of his savings he has to go into.
    This year's has gone towards paying the debt so having the two free months has helped hopefully by next year it can go into savings or towards the year afters. I can decide nearer the time. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • IzzyBee
    IzzyBee Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’m with you there Sarah your mood definitely improves when you are eating well and generally looking after yourself well done keep up the good work 
  • FOMO_overspender
    Options
    Just caught up with your diary! You've done amazing to clear the credit cards  :)  must feel so nice not having to pay them off and knowing that when you put £ into savings it is 100% yours! 
    Total Debt @ LBM: £26,380.49
    • Total debt: £2,500
    • % of my debt gone forever: 90%
    Debt Free Goal Date: June 2023
    My Debt Free Diary 
  • CreditCardJunkie
    Options
    Hi Sarah, noticed you haven't posted in a while. Hope things are good with you xx
    Debt Free as of December 2020 👏

Save 12k in 2024 #35
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wow yes - its been a while.  I always enjoyed your observations on your diary and mine.  I hope you are enjoying the greater freedom's we have now - maybe some time out of the flat :smile:

I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    welcome back !!  I think all of us have periods were nothing much changes, but debts are getting paid, savings are being grown, and life is being lived.  I became a lot more contented when I realised I was very happy not doing very much, as long as I had something to look forward to in the near future (even if cheap)
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Sarahwithlove
    Sarahwithlove Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    Options
    mark55man said:
    welcome back !!  I think all of us have periods were nothing much changes, but debts are getting paid, savings are being grown, and life is being lived.  I became a lot more contented when I realised I was very happy not doing very much, as long as I had something to look forward to in the near future (even if cheap)
    Yes I've still been about and reading other diaries and commenting now and then but for now everything is ticking along nicely so not much to report really. Hope your keeping well. I quite just enjoy having a evening in to myself without my lodger. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • t2rry
    t2rry Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds solid, Sarah - it's the part of the journey where there's nothing to report because you're doing it as usual life...I think that's a great place to be! 
    Debt Free I FFEF I Building Savings I 2024 Plan:
    1. Slush/Tax Fund £2,050/£5,000
    2. Additional Pension Contributions £3,300/£5,000
    3. Regular Savings £2,720/£15,000

#47 Save £20k in 2024 - £8,070/£20,000 (40%)
  • CreditCardJunkie
    Options
    Glad everything's ticking over. I'm sure it's really frustrating with your lodger not working. Hopefully she'll get another job soon!!
    Debt Free as of December 2020 👏

Save 12k in 2024 #35
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport