Facing reality

in Debt Free Diaries
626 replies 37K views

Replies

• SarahwithloveSarahwithlove Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    So today was a bit better for me. I decided to pay for the car park and few bits of shopping with the cash in my purse and literally brought two items, noodles and 4 loo rolls. Good restraint for me. I did however have to also buy a steak bake for lunch from Greggs at £1.75 as discovered that my pitta bread had gone mouldy and my Homous was out of date. But again that came from the cash in my purse. Hoping I can make it to the weekend when my weeks allowance kicks in before I have to buy anything more. Well other then petrol maybe but that’s a different budget that hasn’t yet been touched. Not heard anything yet from finance company about the DD but paid off £155 on the credit card that I used to settle the sofa finance. Only £100 to go which I think I should be able to do at end of this month.
    *RBS credit card - £1930.50* - £0.00
    *Tesco Credit card - £3604.30* - £0.00
    *Finance - £581.91 - £0.00
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £3600
    Total debt *£3600* £11,416.71

Emergency fund/Sinking Fund - £2500/£5000

Mortgage Overpayment - £30.34/£1000
    Facing Reality - My Debt Free Diary
  • Oh no. Sounds like a nightmare of a day. Can you mention to your housemate that it is only fair that she pays more now she is spending more time in the house?
    DMP Feb 20 21357
    Current debt 18900 EF 2000
    Debt free Oct 21
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Las of my direct debits came out for this month, other than my credit card repayments and I had enough left to pay off the £100 that was left over from the sofa finance. So can happily say that’s finished now. If it all goes to plan I will still have some money left in my account at end of the month to make another overpayments on my other credit cards.

However I remembered that I have a really busy month, going out for dinner on Saturday for my dads birthday, then Sunday out for lunch with my mums side of family. Only good thing is I pick my great aunt up along the way and she usually pays for my drink as a result.

I’m going to have to be really strict with myself in regard to my spends. No more buying lunches or coffee at whim. No more stops at shops or bakery on way home. No more cash. I can do it but it’s going to be hard but worth it. And once my debt is settled then I can loosen the strings a little.

But I have been thinking about my debt a bit more, admittedly most of it has come from just general spending but as a result all the major changes to my home I’ve made in last year have come from my bank account instead and cost way more than what I owe and increases value of my flat significantly. So it’s worth it in the long run.

• girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to stop the small indulgences to begin with but once you've made it a habit it changes your mindset.  I now get annoyed with myself if I have to spend money on a non-necessity and much prefer getting through the day without spending.  I used to buy cans of juice as a treat when I was at work but now I just think that's 80p/£1/whatever that I wasted on something that's not good for me anyway.  I don't carry cash anymore and I'm not going to pay for one can with a card so that helps.
    Dipping account £343
    IO Mortgage balance at 01/01/2022: £86,380
    Original expected end date: 01/03/2047
    Mortgage balance at today: £84,990
    Expected end date at today: 01/03/2042
  • pidge04pidge04 Forumite
    779 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes. It's the £1 here and the £1 there which trip me up. I don't have an answer which works for me other than avoiding the shops but I know its not easy. I hate that feeling of 'I've just frittered away a fiver and I have absolutely nothing to show for it' but I also get that feeling sometimes 'I deserve a treat and it's only a pound.' Rolls eyes....! 
    CC £4,012 left to pay (was £5400).
  • GlendaSugarbeanGlendaSugarbean Forumite
    689 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Good luck on the spending cutbacks - one thing I have found really useful is doing the Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month  (you can sign up at any point). It's really helped in changing my attitude from 'not spending, bah' to 'choosing not to spend because of X'.

Will see if I can paste a link on the new format: https://www.frugalwoods.com/category/uberfrugalmonth/
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck on the spending cutbacks - one thing I have found really useful is doing the Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month  (you can sign up at any point). It's really helped in changing my attitude from 'not spending, bah' to 'choosing not to spend because of X'.

Will see if I can paste a link on the new format: https://www.frugalwoods.com/category/uberfrugalmonth/
    Thanks I'll have a look at it, could be quite helpful. It's the fizz and chocolate fix that are doing me in at the moment. I've noticed there's a pattern though in that if I take my anti depressant later in the day I seem to give into the temptation. So setting myself a reminder to take it first thing. 

1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    It feels like it's been a long few days money wise for me. Only good news is I finally got a payment from amazon for my window that one of their drivers broke. £112. Admittedly not much when I had to spend £500 to replace the whole window but admittedly he did only break the hinge and the windows were like 10 years old so they don't make the parts anymore.
    The personal spends bit it what I'm struggling with really. Had to buy two birthday cards and sent some money to my brother in Germany so he could get my niece a present. I sent £25 instead of the usual 50 and just told everyone I'm cutting back this year.
    We did the big food shop today which included topping up on loo rolls and washing stuff. £73 between the two of us so I can live with that as have enough for about 10 days worth of main meals and a few days lunches. I also have some noodle pots for office days and pasta for at home days so should be able to make it do the week.
    Did spend £26 on a football ticket, but I knew it was coming. Admittedly I thought would be standard 24 but apparently playing a premiership team means they can charge more.
    I'm out for dinner tonight for my dads birthday so probably go halves with my brother on cost of his meal but I did get a 20% off voucher so all helps. They are also driving and I got my housemate to drive today for shopping. It means I can go another few days without having to put petrol in my car. Admittedly probably will have to on Monday. I was supposed to be going out for lunch tomorrow as well but not feeling 100% so decided I would have a chilled day and do lunch another Sunday when I don't have so much going on. 

1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from dinner with my dad, £30 later. Glad I postponed the roast tomorrow and decided to make one of my own at home. Also going to try and put some items for sale on eBay and Facebook 

• Dropping by to say hi! 👋👋  Look forward to following you on your journey! 
    🤭 Debt on 1st August 2017: £13,985.17
    🥳 Debt free date: 29th March 2019 (see my debt free journey)
    🌟 Making plans and spending as little as possible along the way 🌟