Money Moral Dilemma: Should my family share the cost of my more expensive ticket?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
My sister bought a discount voucher for an event to take our parents to while they are visiting. It cost £100 and is for four people - her, her husband and our parents. She later invited me and bought me an extra ticket, and charged me the full £40 for it, as it wasn't part of the original deal. I think we should average out the ticket prices and pay £28 each, rather than them paying £25 and me £40. Am I being unreasonable?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It depends what the agreement was when she invited you.
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    If I got an "invite" to an event then I would expect to pay £0.

If it was explained that that the cost of joining the group would be £40 then it would be my decision as whether to join, at that price, or not. I wouldn't expect the others to subsidise my ticket.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• chockydavid1983
    Options
    Surely this was discussed when she asked you if you wanted to go?
    If not, why didn't she let you know how much it was and why didn't you ask?
    Has to be the full £40 as you weren't part of the original deal IMO.
  • Bargain_betty
    Options
    Considering that your sister has paid out £100 to take your parents to this event, I think you have got off lightly.
    Go along and enjoy spending time as a family.
  • Beauborg
    Options
    If everyone is paying for their own ticket, then it should be split 5 ways.

However if your sister and her husband are paying for your parents’ tickets it should be split 3 ways between your sister her husband and you. So you’d pay £140/3 or £46.67.
  • Yav
    Yav Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hardly a moral dilemma. You are just being cheap. You were lucky enough to be invited along. Don’t go if you don’t think it’s good value.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Beauborg wrote: »
    If everyone is paying for their own ticket, then it should be split 5 ways.

However if your sister and her husband are paying for your parents’ tickets it should be split 3 ways between your sister her husband and you. So you’d pay £140/3 or £46.67.

Lordy!
    Don't suggest that.
    The author of the dilemma isn't happy with paying £40.00. :D
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    "She later invited me and bought me an extra ticket, and charged me the full £40 for it, as it wasn't part of the original deal."

Why should they pay extra if you weren't part of the original setup?

"I think we should average out the ticket prices and pay £28 each, rather than them paying £25 and me £40."

Ask then ...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Annoying, but it happens sometimes.

Just pay the £40 as you'll be looked on unfavourably if you moan about it. Sometimes it's best just to pay up and grumble quietly.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, you should not have to pay anything. Stay home and let them enjoy themselves while you watch TV. That way you save money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure