Forum Home» Motoring

Motorhome left parked on road - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Motorhome left parked on road

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
75 replies 3.5K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If you read my posts there is someone who owns a van down the street. I have no objection to that, its their every day vehicle. I do have objection to some selfish person taking up valuable space for something that will be used for couple of weeks per year.

I'm afraid it's sounding more and more as if you're jealous that you don't have a motor home.
  • cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Start squatting in it. That'll teach 'em.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As it's neither building or land AND it is private, not commercial then any act would be criminal, not civil

In other words it fails to meet any of the criteria to be a legal squat
  • warby68warby68 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    OP is getting a hard time.

There's legal and moneysaving on one hand but in day to life, the quality of it can depend quite a bit on voluntary, decent, community spirit and behaviours.

This falls down when the greedy ( or tight) and selfish take advantage by using legal rights to justify pretty grotty behaviour.

Its the 'I'm alright Jack' school of thought.

I'm sympathetic but equally accept you can't do much (other than mutter rude names to the unknown owners as you squeeze past)
  • oldernonethewiseroldernonethewiser Forumite
    703 posts
    500 Posts Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    warby68 wrote: »
    OP is getting a hard time.

There's legal and moneysaving on one hand but in day to life, the quality of it can depend quite a bit on voluntary, decent, community spirit and behaviours.

This falls down when the greedy ( or tight) and selfish take advantage by using legal rights to justify pretty grotty behaviour.

Its the 'I'm alright Jack' school of thought.

I'm sympathetic but equally accept you can't do much (other than mutter rude names to the unknown owners as you squeeze past)

TBH, that is my thought.

I have realised that things like this, while annoying, are rarely easy to resolve.

At my old residence parking has become more and more of a problem over the years. There was once upon a time a consultation with the council as to ways of improving the traffic and parking. I have yet to speak to any neighbour who suggested the systems that were finally implemented.

This year parking permits and marked bays are being introduced, which will help and raise money for the council. ;)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • The_RainmakerThe_Rainmaker Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a bit missing from this story? Why did the owner apologise for having a vehicle parked in their own space?

Something that some seem to have lost is consideration for their neighbours and local community.

I think this is more noticeable the further south you go.

Dead easy to apologise and explain that it will only be there for x days. Job done everyone relaxes and is happy.
    703 posts
    ✭✭
    Something that some seem to have lost is consideration for their neighbours and local community.

I think this is more noticeable the further south you go.

Dead easy to apologise and explain that it will only be there for x days. Job done everyone relaxes and is happy.

I still don't know what the apology was for.

Vehicle parked in owners space.

Was there an obstruction to others?
  • facadefacade Forumite
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still don't know what the apology was for.

Vehicle parked in owners space.

Was there an obstruction to others?

Presumably they were being considerate.

Of course, those of us who drive, even Total Driving Gods like myself, know how awkward it is to drive forwards out of their space without getting crashed into by people trying for the Land Speed Record round the access lanes when the vehicle in the next space is a long tall opaque sided van. :D

A Really Useful Gadget would be a double camera on a stick that you could extend out from the front bumper to see round such obstructions.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • PierremontQuaker03PierremontQuaker03 Forumite
    206 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I used to live on a similar terraced street, the neighbour had a large family and had at least 3 cars, and I rarely got parked outside my own house. Then one summer I got a company car and was working in London regularly so I deliberately parked my own car outside the neighbours house and left it gathering dust. Then one day my neighbour had a word with my wife and asked if she knew who owned it. It did made me chuckle as I felt like saying hang on a minute but you park on my front all the time. Anyway I moved the car as I had made my point and felt I had got her back a bit.

My question is what if you park the otherside of the road, which blocks traffic coming thru - who is in the wrong - or is it down to who parks on what side first?
    703 posts
    ✭✭
    I used to live on a similar terraced street, the neighbour had a large family and had at least 3 cars, and I rarely got parked outside my own house. Then one summer I got a company car and was working in London regularly so I deliberately parked my own car outside the neighbours house and left it gathering dust. Then one day my neighbour had a word with my wife and asked if she knew who owned it. It did made me chuckle as I felt like saying hang on a minute but you park on my front all the time. Anyway I moved the car as I had made my point and felt I had got her back a bit.

My question is what if you park the otherside of the road, which blocks traffic coming thru - who is in the wrong - or is it down to who parks on what side first?

It is the person who blocks the traffic who will be in the wrong.