We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Calls from Capquest over 12 year old debt

Options

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 January 2020 at 5:43PM
    Options
    The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) say that it’s not fair for a creditor to keep asking you to pay a statute-barred or extinguished debt if you’ve told them you don’t intend to pay it.

since when have capquest acted fairly

the op was given a CCJ , capquest had 6 yrs to enforce this , looks like they failed , so although court action is doubtful , they can still ask for money

And if they keep pestering people over statute barred debts and people complain, they'll just end up getting a fine or worse. Not really worth it from CapQuests point of view.
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) say that it’s not fair for a creditor to keep asking you to pay a statute-barred or extinguished debt if you’ve told them you don’t intend to pay it.

since when have capquest acted fairly

the op was given a CCJ , capquest had 6 yrs to enforce this , looks like they failed , so although court action is doubtful , they can still ask for money
    But it's not statute barred!
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    Gaz83 wrote: »

it was boo star that quoted that legislation , I just highlighted the "not fair" section , but left he quote intact to show relevance
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Capquest probably don't know that:
    wozzza72 wrote: »
    The letter I received explained that I still owe them the money for this debt but they can no longer persue this through the courts.

When debt collectors buy debts they appear to get little more than an Excel spreadsheet containing names and addresses.

Even so, CCJ was issued ten or eleven years ago. I think Capquest would have a hard time getting permission from a court to enforce it even if they knew about it.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »

When debt collectors buy debts they appear to get little more than an Excel spreadsheet containing names and addresses.

Even so, CCJ was issued ten or eleven years ago. I think Capquest would have a hard time getting permission from a court to enforce it even if they knew about it.

The issue isn't whether they can legally enforce it, it's whether they can keep phoning the OP about it.

I think, as it's not statute barred, they can. And ultimately the OP is just going to have to put up with it until they get bored.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    The issue isn't whether they can legally enforce it, it's whether they can keep phoning the OP about it.

I think, as it's not statute barred, they can. And ultimately the OP is just going to have to put up with it until they get bored.

wozzza72 wrote: »
    The letter I received explained that I still owe them the money for this debt but they can no longer persue this through the courts.

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »

Are you saying they shouldn't be contacting people for debts that aren't statute barred, because you doubt the accuracy of their records on whether the debt is statute barred?

As an argument that seems thin.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Statute Barred is not an issue as there is a CCJ. If Capquest are aware of the CCJ, then they know it's not statute barred.

Interesting that they say they can't pursue it in court, that sounds like the CCJ itself is over six years and a court won't allow enforcement action if the claimant hasn't taken action to reclaim the debt in those six years.

Send them a letter telling to cease sending letters as they can no longer pursue the debt, ask them to delete your telephone number under GDPR. However just block the number and bin any letters.

They are within their rights to contact you though.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,171 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As post 19 above, the Limitation period no longer applies, as legal action was taken.
    CCJ`s do not become statute barred either, but, as no enforcement action was taken within 6 years, Capquest would need permission of the court to enforce it now, and, due to the passage of time, this is very unlikely to be granted, and it would also cost them money.

Write to Capquest quoting the legislation, tell them straight you are not paying, and invite them to do their worst, you will most likely not hear from them again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Jonathan_Kelvin
    Options
    Given that it’s your debt, that the courts agree, and that you aren’t happy being chased for it, would it not make sense to pay back what you owe on this one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport