Calls from Capquest over 12 year old debt

Options
Hi

I recently had a letter from Capquest out of the blue for a debt I had from 11 or 12 years ago. I was given a CCJ for this debt which has dropped off my credit file now around 4 or 5 years ago. I haven't heard or sopoken to anyone regarding this debt for nearly a decade.

The letter I received explained that I still owe them the money for this debt but they can no longer persue this through the courts. I am getting calls from them every few days which has been going on for a few months now. I have never answered one of these calls but they leave pre recoded messsages asking me to call Capquest. How they got hold of my new mobile number I just dont know and I cant block them as its a different mobile number its dialled from every time (obviously through a call centre/exchange).

Is there a way I can stop this? Surely they have no right chasing this debt now? Should I call them?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tell them it's statute barred and to stop calling.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    yes the debt is statute barred and indead they cannot pursue in court

however they can continue to ask for payment
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Interesting how they got hold of your mobile number. It prompts a couple of questions:

Have they searched your files?

Do CRA files, or might CRA files, store phone numbers, specifically mobile numbers?
  • wozzza72
    wozzza72 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So is this a stalemate situation and I just have to wait until they get bored of phoning? In addition to finding my new number (I'm guessingthey got it from whatever mailing list they bought) the letter came to an address the debt was never ever linked to. Ok it is my new address and I have been there over 5 years but they must have searched me out somehow. Surprising really, for a debt over 11 years old it's a bit of a waste of resources.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    wozzza72 wrote: »
    So is this a stalemate situation and I just have to wait until they get bored of phoning?

No. See post 2.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    No. See post 2.

no see post 3 , although they cannot start court action , they can ask for money till you die

a debt does not die
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    no see post 3 , although they cannot start court action , they can ask for money till you die

a debt does not die

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/can-i-write-off-debt/statute-barred-debt.aspx
    The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) say that it’s not fair for a creditor to keep asking you to pay a statute-barred or extinguished debt if you’ve told them you don’t intend to pay it.

Although I'm not sure why people are saying this is a statute barred debt as the OP says they got a CCJ for it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good spot!
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Am I missing something here? The OP says that the debt already has a CCJ. That means the debt cannot become statute barred, and thus Capquest can ask for the money every day if they so wish.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) say that it’s not fair for a creditor to keep asking you to pay a statute-barred or extinguished debt if you’ve told them you don’t intend to pay it.

since when have capquest acted fairly

the op was given a CCJ , capquest had 6 yrs to enforce this , looks like they failed , so although court action is doubtful , they can still ask for money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure