No oil after service questionable?

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dilby wrote: »
    Yes. But like I assume many others I relied on the dashboard telling me when more oil is needed; light came on today and here I am. If anyone else wants to unhelpfully point that out, don't worry I'm aware how incompetent I am.
    An engine oil warning light doesn't mean the oil reserve is completely empty.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    born_again wrote: »
    Unless they drive a Kia Stinger... WHICH IS THE SERVICE INTERVAL
    Petrol, yes.
    https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kme/uk/en/assets/static/owners/service-maintenance/7.2%20Kia%20Service%20Intervals%20V18.10.pdf

Which may explain why they've sold <1,000 of them in three years.

But you'll notice I did specifically say that "unusually fragile stuff" may be shorter. It's unlike Kia for that to include one of theirs, but...
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    born_again wrote: »
    Unless they drive a Kia Stinger... WHICH IS THE SERVICE INTERVAL

OK, but you didn't say "Thought that was standard for a Kia Stinger" did you. Just said "standard", as in *the* standard across all cars. If you meant some specific edge case then perhaps you should have provided that detail.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    fred246 wrote: »
    It's always worth taking a photo of the dipstick before a service so you can compare it with the same photo afterwards. If you find they haven't changed it you can contact trading standards. Will the mechanic get sacked and the garage fined? Of course not. They will tell you to go back to the garage and ask them to change the oil. It's one of the reasons garage servicing standards are so bad. The ONLY way to know that a car has been serviced properly is to DO IT YOURSELF.
    Mine goes from full to full. Should I call trading standards ?:money:
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    So going back to the original question.
    The garage may have done nothing. No qualifications or experience are needed to open a garage. No qualifications or experience are needed to work as a mechanic. If a garage has been found to do nothing the ultimate penalty is to be asked to do an oil change which they should have done in the first place.
    They may have sucked a bit out and put a bit in. They may have underfilled it. No excuse for that. One of the big problems is overfilling oil. Garages often do that. With owners not checking you could see why. It still causes damage though. As usual though without having evidence it's impossible to prove anything. Without evidence the motorist has to pick up the bill for the incompetence of garages. You see it time and time again on this forum.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    The garage may have done nothing. No qualifications or experience are needed to open a garage. No qualifications or experience are needed to work as a mechanic. If a garage has been found to do nothing the ultimate penalty is to be asked to do an oil change which they should have done in the first place.
    They may have sucked a bit out and put a bit in. They may have underfilled it. No excuse for that. One of the big problems is overfilling oil. Garages often do that. With owners not checking you could see why. It still causes damage though. As usual though without having evidence it's impossible to prove anything. Without evidence the motorist has to pick up the bill for the incompetence of garages. You see it time and time again on this forum.

So now you are accusing garages of deliberately damaging engines by overfilling them with oil. Welcome to Planet Fred. Where conspiracy theories abound.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    So now you are accusing garages of deliberately damaging engines by overfilling them with oil. Welcome to Planet Fred. Where conspiracy theories abound.

I didn't say they are deliberately damaging engines. It's just sloppy careless workmanship. Working quickly. Not their car. Can't be bothered to do the job properly. If customer complains drain a bit off.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

!!!!!! is your problem with garages Fred?

If you don't like garages, great! Some people don't have the knowledge or ability to do their own servicing. Your blanket statements are daft beyond belief and add no value to the OP's question.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    One of the big problems is overfilling oil. Garages often do that. With owners not checking you could see why. It still causes damage though. As usual though without having evidence it's impossible to prove anything. Without evidence the motorist has to pick up the bill for the incompetence of garages. You see it time and time again on this forum.

Had that once. Driving back from the garage, white smoke emerging from under the bonnet. They had overfilled it so much it had blown the dipstick out and sprayed oil over the engine. Great.
  • fred246 wrote: »
    I didn't say they are deliberately damaging engines. It's just sloppy careless workmanship. Working quickly. Not their car. Can't be bothered to do the job properly. If customer complains drain a bit off.

You seem to have some sort of problem with garages - 99% of them want to do a good job to score repeat business.
    Just because you've had a bad experience doesn't mean they're all crooks - I use a couple of garages depending on the job, and they're both A1.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure