»

No oil after service questionable? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

No oil after service questionable?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Motoring
66 replies 2.5K views

Replies

• AdrianCAdrianC
    28.6K posts
    Forumite
    25000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a blanket statement to be making given you never asked my driving habits/mileage.
    Even if you chose to interpret "more frequently - nope" to mean "more frequently than a year", if you're doing serious mileage (20k+/year), then "every six months" would be the blanket statement, because you'd be going by mileage. If that happened to usually coincide with 6mo intervals, then that's mere coincidence - and you'd not extrapolate that to others, unless you knew their mileage.

That apart, nothing else I said was anything approaching blanket. There may be instances where the extended manufacturer's interval would be wise to shorten, but they'd be at the 18k end of the spectrum, rather than 10k, with modern oils.
  • reeacreeac
    1.4K posts
    Forumite
    I have an old sports car which leaks oil from its rear crankshaft bearing as there is no seal, just an oil thrower. As a consequence I usually run with a low oil level in order to minimise loss. My key indicator is oil pressure as the gauge is very clear and accurate. The first indication of too low a level is a dip in pressure when turning sharp left as the sump oil then flows away from the oil pump intake. Been doing this for decades. My message? A brief flashing of an oil pressure light doesn't necessarily spell disaster ....just take it easy and top up asap.
  • ErgatesErgates
    806 posts
    Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    us there a light that actually records oil level , or is it an oil PRESSURE warning light , the sort that goes out when you start the engine

and comes on when there is no oil pressure

Whenever I start the engine in my car, a little message pops up telling me the oil *level* is OK.
  • unholyangelunholyangel
    14.7K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Even if you chose to interpret "more frequently - nope" to mean "more frequently than a year", if you're doing serious mileage (20k+/year), then "every six months" would be the blanket statement, because you'd be going by mileage. If that happened to usually coincide with 6mo intervals, then that's mere coincidence - and you'd not extrapolate that to others, unless you knew their mileage.

That apart, nothing else I said was anything approaching blanket. There may be instances where the extended manufacturer's interval would be wise to shorten, but they'd be at the 18k end of the spectrum, rather than 10k, with modern oils.

Even my new car gives a 6 mo/4500 miles if you're driving under certain conditions (short mileage, dusty conditions, long periods of idling, towing etc).

But my point was that I find it amusing you were belittling what is good car maintainence as being archaic based on period alone - just a few posts after you yourself raised the point of "Nine months, and how many miles?"
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
  • EdGasketTheSecondEdGasketTheSecond
    1.5K posts
    Forumite
    1000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Weekly checks:
    Oil
    Coolant
    Tyre pressures
    Hydrualic fluid levels

Saves a lot of grief.
  • couriervanmancouriervanman
    926 posts
    Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Weekly checks:
    Oil
    Coolant
    Tyre pressures
    Hydrualic fluid levels

Saves a lot of grief.

And just takes 5 min
  • born_againborn_again
    1.9K posts
    Forumite
    1000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    fred246 wrote: »
    IThe ONLY way to know that a car has been serviced properly is to DO IT YOURSELF.

except we are talking a 2 year old car which will still be under warrant.

Your idea total ensures any engine related issues will not be covered.:mad:
  • born_againborn_again
    1.9K posts
    Forumite
    1000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    But my point was that I find it amusing you were belittling what is good car maintainence as being archaic based on period alone - just a few posts after you yourself raised the point of "Nine months, and how many miles?"

Valid question ans not belittling good car maintenance.

As the OP missed a pretty important point.

It could have been possible that the OP had done no miles. Which could mean the thread title was correct.
  • ErgatesErgates
    806 posts
    Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Even my new car gives a 6 mo/4500 miles if you're driving under certain conditions (short mileage, dusty conditions, long periods of idling, towing etc).

Except your original post said:
    Also, I typically change mine every 6 months. Thought that was standard tbh

You weren't just saying that you change it every 6 months because of the distance you drive, you said you thought that changing it every 6 months was standard. Which it isn't.
  • born_againborn_again
    1.9K posts
    Forumite
    1000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Ergates wrote: »
    Except your original post said:

You weren't just saying that you change it every 6 months because of the distance you drive, you said you thought that changing it every 6 months was standard. Which it isn't.

Unless they drive a Kia Stinger... WHICH IS THE SERVICE INTERVAL