Forum Home» Energy

Look After My Bills

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Look After My Bills

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
12 replies 1.1K views
Jules2013Jules2013 Forumite
4 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
I would just like to say how extremely disappointed I am in this company and wish I had never signed up with them.
They signed me up to a supplier that went into receivership. Initially they appeared to have matters in hand but this happened in October 2019 and I have still not been signed up to another supplier despite EDF having been instructed by the Energy Ombudsmen. it is now 15th Jan 2020!
I have sent ENDLESS emails to Look After my Bills and only ever received an automated response.
I had to take to social media and Trustpilot before I actually got a response but since then nothing!
I decided yesterday to take matters into my own hands and have instructed a different electricity supplier to take over my account. So far so good but I emailed Look After my bills to tell them and asked them to acknowledge my email but I have heard NOTHING!!!
Really worrying was when I looked at the options my self my monthly payment was about £15 MORE a month with look After My Bills then if I had gone direct to the supplier. Obviously their commission for signing me up!
Buyer beware!!!!

Replies

• SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Considering what a minefield the switching process can be, letting a third party company look after your utility bills for you? What could possibly go wrong?
  • edited 15 January 2020 at 1:38PM
    clochiclochi Forumite
    25 posts
    edited 15 January 2020 at 1:38PM
    Jules2013 wrote: »
    I would just like to say how extremely disappointed I am in this company and wish I had never signed up with them.
    They signed me up to a supplier that went into receivership. Initially they appeared to have matters in hand but this happened in October 2019 and I have still not been signed up to another supplier despite EDF having been instructed by the Energy Ombudsmen. it is now 15th Jan 2020!
    I have sent ENDLESS emails to Look After my Bills and only ever received an automated response.
    I had to take to social media and Trustpilot before I actually got a response but since then nothing!
    I decided yesterday to take matters into my own hands and have instructed a different electricity supplier to take over my account. So far so good but I emailed Look After my bills to tell them and asked them to acknowledge my email but I have heard NOTHING!!!
    Really worrying was when I looked at the options my self my monthly payment was about £15 MORE a month with look After My Bills then if I had gone direct to the supplier. Obviously their commission for signing me up!
    Buyer beware!!!!

Presumably they signed you up to Toto Energy?

LAMB were presumably not aware the supplier would cease to trade. I suspect you weren't either at the time. But if you were, you would have been given notice of the intended switch and were allowed 14 days to inform LAMB that you did not want to switch to that supplier to save yourself money. Presumably you didn't object at the time.
    (LAMB presumably lost out too on their commission if the switch was made close to the supplier announcing they had ceased trading)

Why would LAMB switch you again at this time? :huh:
    EDF have promised that for at least the initial 6 months they supply you, you will not pay any more than you would have under your Toto agreement. (If you are lucky, it may even be less :money:)

You must be aware of the limitations of any auto switching site - they will only auto switch you to providers that they have a commission arrangement with, and LAMB doesn't pay cashback.

LAMB have an 82% excellent score on TrustPilot based on almost 7000 reviews.

You pay no explicit fee for the service LAMB provide - it's funded by the commission arrangements LAMB have with the suppliers they use.

But if you have decided LAMB is no longer for you, you can leave anytime (and, of course, without any fee)

Edit:
    Some of the other numerous previous threads regarding LAMB

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6005810

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6004474

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5985491

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5949996

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5924111

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5885425

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5794878

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5787522
  • Think its been highlighted before but I checked out both Look After My Bills and the 2 founders referred to on Dragons Den via Companies House. The former is Dormant and the latter were never actually listed under LAMB and have since resigned in July 2019 from THIS IS THE BIG DEAL LIMITED, This is the company offering the service and they exist and submitted a tax return and made a profit. Whilst I initially was convince this was a scam they seem to be trading - which is something.

Personally having always managed my utility transfers myself I find the current web only providers are ridiculously different to get hold of but expect that is how they keep their costs low.
  • edited 29 January 2020 at 4:31PM
    clochiclochi Forumite
    25 posts
    edited 29 January 2020 at 4:31PM
    HappyHomie wrote: »
    Think its been highlighted before but I checked out both Look After My Bills and the 2 founders referred to on Dragons Den via Companies House. The former is Dormant and the latter were never actually listed under LAMB and have since resigned in July 2019 from THIS IS THE BIG DEAL LIMITED, This is the company offering the service and they exist and submitted a tax return and made a profit. Whilst I initially was convince this was a scam they seem to be trading - which is something.

Personally having always managed my utility transfers myself I find the current web only providers are ridiculously different to get hold of but expect that is how they keep their costs low.

When the founders of LAMB appeared on Dragons Den in the summer of 2018, they picked up £120,000 from dragons, Tej Lalvani and Jenny Campbell, for just 3% of the business.

This, therefore, meant the dragons valued the business at £4million

By the summer of 2019, the owners of GoCompare (GoCo Group) bought LAMB for £12.5million.

Not a bad investment by those dragons, who more than trebled their money in less than 12 months. :money:

(Actually the £12.5m is made up as follows:
    £6 million payment upfront
    £2.5 million deferred payment
    up to a further £4 million performance based bonus)

Goco Group also owns another auto-switching site, weflip.
  • hesjanehesjane Forumite
    2.1K posts
    I also signed up to LAMB. However, when I tried to log in to change my details (only wanted to update annual energy usage) I realised there was no option to log in. I decided I did not want to use a company that does not allow me to manage my own information. I emailed and asked them to close my account and delete my data, specifically to ensure they deleted and did not pass on my bank details to any third party. I have now contacted them 5 times. The only reply is a request to provide data security responses so that they can verify my identify and deal with my query. I've done that. This has been going on two weeks now. I can't get through on the phone. I can't 'cancel' the information they hold with my bank as they haven't used my bank information to allow a third party energy provided to set up a direct debit (YET !!).

I am about to complain to the ICO to make Data Protection complaint. I can't see any other way of moving this closure request forward. LAMB do not respond to requests.

I always used the MSE Energy Club and switched that way before - I just wish I had never bought into the hype that is LAMB :(
  • edited 29 January 2020 at 8:09PM
    TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 January 2020 at 8:09PM
    Without wanting to appear too rude, I can't comprehend why anyone would hand over their bank details to a third party in order for them to sign you up to their choice of energy provider - that choice inevitably being based on the value of backhander for them, not cheapest for you.

If you want a job doing properly, do it yourself!!!
  • edited 29 January 2020 at 7:37PM
    SmodletSmodlet Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 January 2020 at 7:37PM
    hesjane wrote: »
    I also signed up to LAMB.
    I always used the MSE Energy Club and switched that way before - I just wish I had never bought into the hype that is LAMB :(

Seriously, some of you guys, what were you thinking?

You all have the wit to find this site yet you entertain (let alone sign up to) some imbecilic bunch of scam artists whose only objective is to rip off those without the wit to find sites like this? You wonder why they charge more than going directly to suppliers? I still find it amazing this site is free but the day it ceases to be so will be the day I look elsewhere, like the CAB.

Come along, do! You all know much better than this and, if you need to learn more, welcome to the energy board!

If anyone needs help working out what their energy usage costs or would cost with another supplier, they have only to ask on here. Such queries are meat and drink to a great many posters on here, including me; some of us actually like doing arithmetic and you are all perfectly capable of learning how if you do not already know: You would not be here otherwise. All you have to do is check the comparison sites every so often, depending on whether you are on a fixed tariff or not. If you are, it is less urgent as you have to factor in exit fees, usually.

This whole thing sounds far too much like this stupid idea of allowing anyone and everyone you pay money to, to access to your bank account. Why on earth would anyone be so daft as to allow that? No wonder identity theft is such a thing these days.

Rant over and I hope I have not offended anyone. My purpose was purely to remind you all that you all know better. Other than that, we all make mistakes especially when it comes to money: Consider them a valuable, if expensive, lesson and chalk 'em up.
  • hesjanehesjane Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Talldave wrote: »
    Without wanting to appear too rude, I can't comprehend why anyone would hand over their bank details to a third party in order for them to sign you up to their choice of energy provider - that choice inevitably being based onvthe value of backhander for them, not cheapest for you.

If you want a job doing properly, do it yourself!!!

I totally agree - I don't know what planet my brain was on the day I signed up to LAMB :(

I wonder if they read this forum as moments after posting about my problems tonight I had an email confirming they are intending to initiate a customer log in section on their website and also to confirm they have closed my account and raised a GDPR request to delete my data :)

Comments on MSE clearly rattles them :rotfl:
  • SmodletSmodlet Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hesjane wrote: »
    I totally agree - I don't know what planet my brain was on the day I signed up to LAMB :(

I wonder if they read this forum as moments after posting about my problems tonight I had an email confirming they are intending to initiate a customer log in section on their website and also to confirm they have closed my account and raised a GDPR request to delete my data :)

Comments on MSE clearly rattles them :rotfl:

Well, yay!
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    LAMB are getting an awful lot of bad comments re switching customers to Together Energy, who are certainly the worst supplier I have (attempted) to deal with:mad: