Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe

What Small DFW Things Will You Do w/c 13th January 2020? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

What Small DFW Things Will You Do w/c 13th January 2020?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
67 replies 3.2K views

Replies

• Van_GirlVan_Girl Forumite
    97 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hello all and thank you for the welcome on last weeks thread. Happy to join this one so thanks for having me :)

Things done today:

- Resisted temptation to get frothy coffee on the way to work because, Mondays :(
    - NSD - ate a couple of left over biscuits from the work tin so I didn't feel like I was missing out
    - Left over stew for lunch (delicious)
    - Added tiny bank interest payment onto debt payment spreadsheet .
    - Currently making soup from slightly brown broccoli and Xmas Stilton remnants . Plenty for lunch tomorrow
    - Cleaned out my flask ready for coffee tomorrow. Will be on the road until lunch time so need to reduce the temptation to buy hot drinks.

Also need to think of something I can take as a snack tomorrow. I'm terrible for buying stuff when I have to drive anywhere for work... hmmm, will have to have a think
    £1 per day = Jan £615.55/£31, Dec £5.52/£21
    NSD's = Sept 0/15, July 6/15, June 9/15, May 15/20, Apr 19/15, Mar 11/10, Feb 8/15, Jan 12/15
    Debt Free 23rd July 2015
    House Renovation Debts £10,456.49 £16,580 Dec 2019 1% = £165.80 36% so far!
  • BetharooniBetharooni Forumite
    229 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Hi

I would like to join this group if possible. I am currently trying to pay off my last remaining debt-car finance that I currently owe £11,410.94 on. I am due to pay it off at the end of 2021 but want to try and get it paid off by the end of this year instead.

My plans for the rest of today and tomorrow are:

- to make lunch this evening to take in with me tomorrow
    - to prepare some berries for after dinner tonight (and a handful to take into work tomorrow) so they are used before they go off
    - walk to and from work tomorrow rather than being lazy and getting the underground
    - check online banking and update my spending tracker with purchases from last couple of days
    - call docs to chase up blood test form
    - finish updating to-do list

B x
    Save £15K in 2020 #6 £ £13,730.20/£15,000
    Make £2020 in 2020 #11 £1,516.83/£2,020
    Saving for House Deposit £5,416.32/£40,000
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #300 £900/£1,000
  • Emzmom88Emzmom88 Forumite
    170 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hello

Can i join again,i was part of this thread for months last year but just seemed to slip away from me as life got in the way.

I am trying to be as dfw as i can but this thread gave me a big kick up the rear end last year and i slipped when i wasnt posting regularly...it actually took me a while to post this as i felt bad for just not posting!! My debt hasnt really grown or got smaller but this year it has to oh was made redundant 3 weeks before xmas with a pretty poor payout so we were stuffed hes working on agency atm doing min wage work so half of what we had coming in hes got 3 interviews this week none of them the money he was on before but some good opportunities after a year or so and we should be able to manage!!

Dfw for tomorrow as its late to start now
    •get dryer out as not working think the belt has gone if it has will pick one up this week and oh can fit it
    •more cleaning
    •nsd (hopefully the milk will last if not that will be my only buy tomorrow)
    • turn all my plugs off that arent in use
    •candles on the evening so no lights needed - i love how cosy it makes it feel in winter
    •take dd to club will take hot drink with me so i dont buy one-oh has never been a fan of this but a few weeks ago i took him a hot chocolate and now he loves taking a drink with him
    • check gas/electric useage over winter i have been good but want to aim below £3-£3.50 per day in total so it averages out from the summer it is hard as i need the heating on to dry the clothes

Thats all for now!!i will update tomorrow :D
  • ziggy2407ziggy2407 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Ally - Thanks for starting us off today!
    Emzmom88 - Welcome back, life often has a way getting in the way of posting, you've a lot going on, here's hoping things settle down soon

Today went like this

Checked Bank & made PAD
    Swagbucks (Swago board available)
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner
    Read Library Book
    Sleep on sofa :o

Night all

C x
    2020 - Banish the clutter ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • PurpleFairy26PurpleFairy26 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all :hello: lovely to see some new faces on the thread and some returners (we've all been there emzmom So don't worry about wondering off and back again) stick with us.

Up early today so catching up on some 'quiet' jobs whilst rest of the house is asleep! So far I have :

Checked banking, moved annual cash back that has been paid to my spends account. Moved some fuel money back from fuel pot to main account to be straight
    Reconciled just for points CC
    Update my weight on health app
    Research something online
    Update insurance amount as I had to amend it yesterday
    Buy breakdown cover online

I will also:

Meals from stores
    Take something back for a return that I didn't do yesterday
    Take bag to charity shop
    Vacuum through
    Continue with decluttering a room
    Look out for refund on to card
    See if utilities provider respond to my query I emailed yesterday save calling them
    Respond to more people about item I have for sale

Have a good day all. Purps.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • carrielovesfantacarrielovesfanta Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all!

A big welcome to Betharooni and the other new posters, welcome back emzmom!

Another nose to the grindstone day today. Removes all chance of spending although I need to send OH for a bag of porridge

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £14000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Happy_KittiesHappy_Kitties Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the newbies and Emzmom i dont feel like i post as regularly as i should, i have slipped but as ziggysaid life does have a habit of getting in the way. But i love that its a great thread that keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Feeling more settled as im now back into a routine and work has settled down. Not having to do any post Christmas rush stuff now.

Banking all checked, everything good.
    Quidco checked
    Still eating out of the freezer-has done me well.
    Need to pop out for cat food tins [email protected] is the cheapest (would have done yesterday but weather was so bad)
    DD has now gone back to uni, house seems very quiet but will give me chance to have more of a sort out. Decluttering is slow, but i rather slow than none at all.
    Getting items ready to send to a charity using up packaging i already have. Using the space to store some sale items i have picked up for presents.
    Meeting tonight i need to prepare for.
    Need to do RM surveys-can post at [email protected]
    Washing on-eco setting
    Just about to put dishwasher on, on a quick 30 degree wash.

Think thats about it from me
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:T:T:T:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66:j
  • edited 14 January at 9:54AM
    TryingAgain2022TryingAgain2022 Forumite
    86 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 January at 9:54AM
    Happy Tuesday all! Emzmom, sorry to hear of OH redundancy. Never easy.

Some wins, some fails over the weekend.
    FAIL- several coffees out, money taken from joint account.
    WINS- used points for some coffee on Sunday, plus for some shopping in Boots. Discovered £47 on Boots cards and £59 on Nectar so will be using as appropriate for the regular shopping until payday!

This week:
    -decide if able to go to distant family funeral. (Location is distant not relationship.) Minimum cost if stay with relatives is the petrol plus food en route - around £70. If I do as I would rather and stay in Travelodge or similar, £150. Not sure. Main decider actually the amount of annual leave it would eat. (DECIDED: I am going, OH is OK that it will eat some joint funds and some annual leave).
    -check banks - DONE
    -make sure vcard doesn’t go over its limit - DONE - had to move some cash around
    -dinners from what we have (pizza, pasta, freezer, spag bol, toad, bacon something tonight! must use!)
    -milk etc quick shop paid for with Nectar points - DONE
    -work from home twice saving fuel (and also saving use of work clothes) DONE/DOING
    -make pack lunches - DONE
    -bring coffee with for work commuted - DONE
    -check free postcode lottery
    -plant seeds on windowsill (some peas, carrots and tomatoes, plus some sweet peas my favourite)
    -all washes on 30 degree fast setting
    -read books instead of online browsing - especially shopping! DONE/DOING

-pay for school clubs - DONE (OH already did it)
    -pay for school trip
    -measure for and buy school shoes (all this must come out of the joint)
    -OH will book in the replacement boiler as ours is beyond repair. Cost will be HUGE (like £3k+ huge) so we need to also work out what to do instead of a holiday. We are really trying to be sensible. I need to help him with being stoic on this as he is not used to any kind of money saving anything - was never a student! lol)

More money saving -
    -switch off unnecessary lights
    -put away unopened shower gels etc until we have used the ends of the rest!
    -stop work coffee club - I am now ‘milk only’ for £1 a month but I might switch to black coffee, bringing my own jar
    -paint own nails. I only paid once for someone else to do them, before last year’s holiday, and it was OK but no better than I can do myself!
    -wash clothes less. Only when actually dirty or sweaty. Especially DD’s clothes!
    CONTROVERSIAL - wash me less. I like to give my skin a break from soap and water when I am working from home/at weekend. Saves hot water, soap etc, towel washing. I promise I don’t smell!

Does anyone else deliberately shower every other day/less often than they used to, to save money/planet/their skin?

Have lovely days all, sorry this is so long. I am at home with candle, crystals and my lovely new-to-me Druid Animal Oracle Cards - today’s aimal is a Wren which means ‘greatness can come from small things’ and I think that is perfect for moneysaving!

-Trying
    PEAK Dec 2019: £24,273 -- NOW Virgin £2377 Markses £681 Halifax £6143 Loan £6696 Family loan £5819 TOTAL: £21,706 -- Paid off: £2308. Target: Jan 2023 LBM: monthly pay but weekly spend doh :o December 2020 target = £18212 and nothing added to CCs AND by paying an extra 20 a month on something I just knocked 8 months off my target date :-)
  • carrielovesfantacarrielovesfanta Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    CONTROVERSIAL - wash me less. I like to give my skin a break from soap and water when I am working from home/at weekend. Saves hot water, soap etc, towel washing. I promise I don’t smell!

Does anyone else deliberately shower every other day/less often than they used to, to save money/planet/their skin?

I have a good scrubby shower 2-3 times a week and just a strip wash on the other days. Only issue I have is that I can't get to my back as well and I have noticed a new tendency towards pimples. Might be worth getting a loofah or something!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £14000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • twiggy86twiggy86 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

Had a day off yesterday and was super productive and frugal! Back at work today, so I have/will:
    * Check banks
    * Do foam rolling
    * Make lunch to take to work
    * Switch microwave off at wall
    * Take something out of freezer for dinner (forgot but luckily OH was still at home - hoping he took the right thing out!)
    * Park for free and walk to work
    * Eat OOD cereal with communal milk at work
    * Update spreadsheet with spends
    * Go to gym at lunch
    * Check OP/ PA
    * Check purse/ pockets as think I have a few receipts that need snapping to apps
    * Sort out washing on airer and put away
    * Dinner from stores
    * Wash hair and let dry naturally
    * Do some more crochet

Think that's everything for now. Hope you all have a good day.
    Starting again.. LMB 31.7.19 Starting total: £13,418.33 Current total: £9,865.97