PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bookworms 2020

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @LuckyLondonLucy Did you miss my comment about audible on Amazon and iphones?  The message is that it is not available to download onto my device. 
    I can't afford to pay full price for books, hence the use of the library and cheap trial offers as and when. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • LuckyLondonLucy
    Options
    elsien said:
    @LuckyLondonLucy Did you miss my comment about audible on Amazon and iphones?  The message is that it is not available to download onto my device. 
    I can't afford to pay full price for books, hence the use of the library and cheap trial offers as and when. 
    Ahhh - sorry!  I must have missed it (currently reading messages from here on my phone).  That's a shame so sorry to keep banging on about Audible!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't have Audible. I find I can hear the character myself. Perhaps it's from years of teaching English. 

Just finished a strange book, The Pursuit of Happiness, by Charles Kennedy.  It's very long, basically a love story, but set in post war America against the sexism and McCarthyism.  
    It owes much to Wuthering Heights, both in structure with a framing device narrative and the Exploration of a  love, which is destructive to both. 
    There's a another similarity, which I won't give away, as it would be a spoiler. 

I'd never have picked this book in a month of boring Sundays, but my neighbour lent it to me and enthused so much. 

Now reading Olive Again. Very good. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Amazon won't let me download to Apple.  
    @elsien - Is the problem that you can't download from Amazon directly?    If so, have you tried downloading the audible app and using it that way? For iphones the app has to be downloaded from the apple app store first.
    It may also be that you have to select the book in the browser version first and then read/open via the app.

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    elsien said:
    Yes but the booK is much more expensive on those whereas at the moment it's on Amazon's free trIan but Amazon won't let me download to Apple.  That's what I'm trying to find a work round for. 
    Have you downloaded the audible app?   I'm not an active subscriber to audible, but I can still get the special offers as my audible account is linked to my amazon account.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • elsien
    edited 14 August 2020 at 8:09PM
    Options
    jwil said:
    elsien said:
    Yes but the booK is much more expensive on those whereas at the moment it's on Amazon's free trIan but Amazon won't let me download to Apple.  That's what I'm trying to find a work round for. 
    Have you downloaded the audible app?   I'm not an active subscriber to audible, but I can still get the special offers as my audible account is linked to my amazon account.
    Just discovered that I can't as my phone ioS is too old iphone 5. Think the universe is trying to tell me something here. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's a shame elsien.  I'm sure Hamnet will come to your library soon or you could put in a request for them to order it for you?  

Finished Girl, Woman, Other yesterday and I can see why it jointly won the Booker Prize last year.  Loved how each section was told by a different character but built on the stories of the other's and it just linked so nicely together in a very clever way.  

Now on to The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colourblindness by Michelle Alexander as I'm still trying to educate myself.  Picked up the last of my library books that I've requested at the weekend so will hopefully work through those in the next couple of weeks and then I can go back to finishing the pre-covid books on my TBR pile and then finally start on the pile of new ones that I've bought since March.  
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone.  Still reading The New Jim Crow but also read The Farm by Joanne Ramos over the weekend.  Had interesting commentary on a number of subjects but the ending seemed a little rushed and didn't really reflect the more profound changes that the main characters went through in the rest of the novel.  Still an interesting take on the concept of surrogacy.

Also picked by Becoming by Michelle Obama from the library and have dived into that.  I appear to be alternating chapters between that and Jim Crow and it's working well for me so far.  Hope to have both finished this week.
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • elsien
    edited 24 August 2020 at 12:13PM
    Options
    I started to read The Farm but gave up after the first chapter. Got bored when it changed to the second viewpoint. 
    Can I ask your combined opinions with regards to e-readers? I don't want to read books on my phone.  I don't want a tablet as I want something that doesn't have the blue light/melatonin/keeping you awake thing going on and I don't want to be tempted to surf the net till stupid o'clock.
    Can you now read library books straight onto a kindle e-reader without a lot of faffing around? If not, I'm looking at the kobo, but they're around the £80 mark and I only paid £15 for my nook, admittedly several years ago. 
    Any experiences would be appreciated. 

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I finally finished 10% Happier - Dan Harris.

I have lots of books lined up on my kindle. I'm not sure what will be my next read. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback