PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bookworms 2020

Options

Comments

• ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Finished A Court of Mist and Fury yesterday - found that I couldn't put it down and while the main character did a complete 180 compared to the first book, I was really happy with it.  Have reserved the next one at the library but have heard it isn't that good.

On to Born a Crime by Trevor Noah, another library book.  Have realised that I'm reading a lot of non-fiction lately which I don't have a problem with but also feel the need to try and break it up a little bit with some escapism.  Have 7 more books of my own to get through before I can start on the ones I've bought during lock down, which isn't too bad seeing as it was like 40 odd when I first started this year!
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Ditzy_Mitzy
    Ditzy_Mitzy Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I've finished 'Watership Down' and I did shed a tear or two at the end.  It's an excellent book, full of subtleties that remain relevant today and isn't just for children.  It's more than suitable for children, however, and would be a treat for the brighter ones who can engage with the issues of environmentalism, authority, liberty and societal organisation.  Each chapter begins with a quote taken from a good quality source, too, which provides a nice introduction to all sorts of other reading material for those interested.  
    The writing, bar the occasional laboured simile, is of a consistently high standard.  It's straightforwardly modernist, typical second-half twentieth century, and is generally unadorned: favouring action over introspection.  It is about rabbits, so this is a rather effective means of avoiding anthropomorphism or sentimentality.  Adams writes action extremely well, and is good at controlling pace and tension.  It's a simple plot, but that doesn't really matter.  
    The English rural landscape, plants, seasons and farming are vividly evoked in unflashy style, which is a good fit really.  Again it's a nice thing for children to read about as it's a subject that seems desperately unfashionable these days.  There are plenty of tales of urban life, making 'Watership Down' a pleasing contrast.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I remember crying at the film of Watership Down.

I finished The Comparison Cure and next up is a book on my kindle that I again started and didn't finish. 10% Happier - Dan Harris.
  • ruby_eskimo
    Options
    I also cried at Watership Down, brings back memories of watching the Animals of Farthing Wood too which also made me cry!

Finished Born and Crime by Trevor Noah and found it really interesting to see the lived experience of Apartheid from someone who kind of fell between the different sides in the conflict.

Now on to Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie which has been on my to-read list for a long time, pretty much since it came out.  Have two books to return to the library tomorrow and another 4 to pick up :lol: 
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    next up is a book on my kindle that I again started and didn't finish. 10% Happier - Dan Harris.
    I'm still reading this. It is actually very interesting as Dan Harris worked as a journalist and he puts lots of fascinating stories about world events he covered in his career.
  • ruby_eskimo
    Options
    Haven't finished Americanah yet but I did start and finish Unfollow by Megan Phelps-Roper yesterday as I couldn't wait to read it when it came in.  It's yet another non-fiction book about the Westboro Baptist Church aka the most hated family in America and it was so interesting to see an insider view (which may or may not be biased) and what it was like leaving the safety of a family and a home.  I seem to have developed a weird love of books about cults so you might see a few more popping up here and there.
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all not much reading done last week. But I have finished Susan Wiggs ‘Snowfall at Willow Lakes which I gave 3 stars. I’ve started the next one in the Chronicles ‘Fireside’ book 5 but it may be time for a break after this. I’m already hoping the two characters in the first chapters who quite obviously dislike and deeply distrust each other, don’t end up in bed together. I’ll be surprised  if they don’t but disappointed if they do, if that makes sense. I’m ready for a bit more depth. 
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • LuckyLondonLucy
    Options

Hello everyone – I’m a newbie here (first post!) and only spotted this thread as I love all things books!  Have read through it all and have added so many new titles to my TBR list!

I’ve done a crazy amount of reading over lockdown – I thought I’d let you see my ratings:

A Walk in the Woods, Bill Bryson 3*

Once upon a River, Diane Setterfield 3*

Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen 3*

Stillhouse Lake, Rachel Caine 3*

Don’t Look Now, Daphne du Maurier 4*

The Foundling, Stacy Halls 3*

Outlander, Diane Gabaldon 2*

The Salt Path, Raynor Winn 3*

Hamnet, Maggie O’Farrell 3*

The Women in the Window, AJ Finn 2*

The Rembrandt Secret, Alex Connor 3*

When God was a Rabbit, Sarah Winman 3*

Golden Hill, Francis Spufford 2*

A Million Little Pieces, James Frey 4*

Thank You Jeeves, PG Wodehouse 2*

The Dutch House, Ann Patchett 4*

The Sunday Lunch Club, Juliet Ashton 2*

Me Talk Pretty One Day, David Sedaris 3*

The Passage, Justin Cronin 2*

Where the Crawdads Sing 4*

Mudlarking, Lara Maiken 5*

The Five, Hallie Rubenhold 5*

Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austin 2*

The Dream Daughter, Diane Chamberlain 3*

Mythos, Stephen Fry 3*

Beneath a Scarlett Sky, Mark Sullivan 4*

She lies in the Vines, Benjamin Stevenson 3*

Conversations with Friends, Sally Rooney 2*

Pure, Andrew Miller 3*

Sometimes I Lie, Alice Feeney 2*

What Alice Forgot, Liane Moriaty 4*

Karin Slaughter, The Last Widow 3*

A Gentleman in Moscow, Amor Towles 5*

Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy 4*

The Widow, Fiona Barton 2*

Frenchman’s Creek, Daphne du Maurier 4*

Call the Midwife, Jennifer Worth 5*

Several of these are Audible books (which have been keeping me company during the long lockdown strolls!).  Currently reading When we were Orphans, Kazuo Ishiguro (so far really enjoying it) and IT, Stephen King (on Audible - not bad!).

Am so glad I discovered you all!

Lucy

• ruby_eskimo
    Options
    Welcome @LuckyLondonLucy there was me thinking I'd read a lot during lock down but I think you may have beaten me!  A lot of really good books on your list and a few I've now added to my TBR.  

Still plodding away with Americanah - haven't had much time to read last week but should have it done tonight.
  • LuckyLondonLucy
    Options
    Still plodding away with Americanah - haven't had much time to read last week but should have it done tonight.
    I read Americanah last year and really enjoyed it.  I think she's a wonderful author - Half a Yellow Sun is also excellent!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback