New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
419 replies 33.5K views

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Charly27 We also watched Contagion a few weeks ago.  Was quite scary but actually also quite reassuring in a way too.  I'd probably stick with the 50 and then you can feel really accomplished when you sail past the target.  I haven't really upped mine but in my head I want to get to over 100.

Have been on a bit of a book buying spree too and just received a notification that another one has been dispatched (The Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison).  At this rate I'm going to be back to where I started pre-lockdown!  But in my defence the books I've bought have all been on my wish list for a while and were all purchased second hand so were complete bargains.
    Emergency Fund - £2731.91 / £5,000 :: Mortgage OP -£1114.32
    LISA 2020 - £2029 :: NSD October - 10 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 40.2 / 58lbs
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The last book I read was by Dr Chatterjee about introducing 5 minute healthy habits into your daily life.

I'm just starting The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem today. Six Pillars of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel Branden
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miss Austen, by Gill Hornby was brilliant. 

Written in the voice of Jane's sister, Cassandra, it captures the era and class, eith the consequent effect and affect on women. Lots of wry smiles and the odd chuckle. Best of all is the literary style, which is spot on. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Spider_In_The_BathSpider_In_The_Bath Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there, Would it be ok to join? I am an avid reader of lots of genres. I veer towards fantasy and sci fi, but lately been reading post apocalyptic and pandemic stories. I have Marshall Goldberg MD and Kenneth Kay. It is about a 'plague' which occurs in the US. It is a horrific disease with a much higher and faster death toll than out current virus. Interestingly the actions of the cure is an old drug very much like the treatment today with dexamethasone, only this was something that they had stopped using years before. It was first published in 1980 but reads more like a 1960s book with its attitudes. 
    You might like The Fireman by Joe Hill.  A great book.  Part fantasy, part thriller about a pandemic.
  • Charly27Charly27 Forumite
    336 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi all, hope you’ve had a good weekend. Bizarre weather in Norfolk. I’ve finished ‘Hygge in the Early Years’ which I gave 5 stars and would recommend it to primary and early years teachers. I also read The First Four Years #9 of The Little House on the Prairie series. These were both on my Kindle. I think one of you said you didn’t enjoy this and I’d echo that. It was published after her death and each year describes a hellish year on the farm with Manly (who I assume is Almanzo her husband). Hard to imagine more tragedy could face one person. I may try and get hold of the last two diaries but I’m not rushing as there’s hope the library could open after 4th July.
    Currently reading The Lost Sister by Tracey Buchanan Fiction and Me and White Supremacy by Layla Saad Non-Fiction. I did increase my target to 60 books this year, against good advice! I’m now on 32, and should coast 60.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read in 2020 45/50
    Currently reading ‘Me and White Supremacy’ Layla Saad.
    #20 in 2020 5/20
    Stitching Animal Patchwork Sampler by The Historical Sampler Company
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm absolutely lost in this book The  Mustard Seeds by Laibach Ibral, a sequel to her Yellow Crocus. 
    Telling the story of a black family and a white family in the early years after the emancipation of slaves, it is harrowing. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Charly27Charly27 Forumite
    336 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Though harrowing do you think it’s a really good read PollyPenny?
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read in 2020 45/50
    Currently reading ‘Me and White Supremacy’ Layla Saad.
    #20 in 2020 5/20
    Stitching Animal Patchwork Sampler by The Historical Sampler Company
  • bit_by_bitbit_by_bit Forumite
    462 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi there, Would it be ok to join? I am an avid reader of lots of genres. I veer towards fantasy and sci fi, but lately been reading post apocalyptic and pandemic stories. I have Marshall Goldberg MD and Kenneth Kay. It is about a 'plague' which occurs in the US. It is a horrific disease with a much higher and faster death toll than out current virus. Interestingly the actions of the cure is an old drug very much like the treatment today with dexamethasone, only this was something that they had stopped using years before. It was first published in 1980 but reads more like a 1960s book with its attitudes. 
    You might like The Fireman by Joe Hill.  A great book.  Part fantasy, part thriller about a pandemic.
    Thanks for that recomendation Spider_In_The _Bath. I will take a look.:smiley:
    I have just finished Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on Audio book read by Stephen Fry. He has a great range of voices and sounded like many of the film versions of the characters. I find big books heavy and difficult to hold so audio helps. Also they send me off to sleep. I got this one free from the library.
    I did try and listen to The Lady in the White Kimono by Ana Jones for the reading group a while back but the voice of the narrator really got my chalkboard scratching hairs rising  :# Happily also free from the libaray so not wasted any money. 
    I am lucky to still get some libary books online but can't wait until the building is open again.
    Just starting a 'go to' book which is again fantasy and post apocolyptic. I am reading Armageddon's Children by Terry Pratchett. The world has been ruined by humans and demons are finishing off the job. There are only two Knights of the Word left defending them and they are charged with saving as many as possible and getting them to a safe place. Terry Brookes has written load of books in the Shannara series which was initially all sword and sorcery but has written two or three prequels charting a path from our real world to the world of Elves. 
    Take care everyone.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 March 2021- 5 months to go.Challenges 2020: Banish the Clutter 2020 74/100 bags plus 15 large items
    Make £2020 on 2020 #80 £2640.57/£2020
    MFW # 87 2020: £468.48/£2300
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started a book called The Middle Passage. From Misery to Meaning in Midlife by James Hollis. It is about people having what is termed a mid life crisis and written by a psychologist. Interesting! :)
  • allie23allie23 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, may I join you?  I have been meaning to join in here for a while.  This year I decided to cancel my Amazon account and spend zero on books to curb my spending on Amazon.  Instead my plan was to make more use of the local library and I have loved the change.  I enjoy catching up with the library staff and getting their recommendations.  I have actually read more fiction than I have in years as a result of this change.  I am also making use of my libraries ebook option and free digital magazines.  Books I have read this year are:
    Wild Fire (Final Shetland Book) - Ann Cleeves
    The Crow Trap (First Vera Book) - Ann Cleeves 
    The Long Call - Ann Cleeves
    This is going to Hurt - Adam Kay
    The Binding - Bridget Collins
    The Garden of Lost and Found - Harriet Evans
    Once upon a river - Diane Setterfield
    Me - Elton John
    The Familiars - Stacey Halls
    The Foundling - Stacey Halls
    Various Debbie Macomber and Jenny Colgan books for a light read when that's my mood. These were picked up at the library before it closed for lockdown.
    I am currently rereading Miss Clare Remembers/Emily Davis by Miss Read.  I have a few Miss Read books and I love them.  I love the slow pace of life depicted in them and the village goings on. 
    Still waiting to be read is:
    Becoming - Micelle Obama
    The next 3 Vera books 
    I'm going to go back over the thread and catch up with it hopefully over the next few days.

Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Save £12k in 2020 - Challenger No 4 - £24,4516/£35,000
    July Grocery Challenge £151.63/£200